Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Modelsim license with intelFPGA_lite

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am working on a Cyclone V project that includes the Hard Processor system plus a NIOS 2 system. 

I am using the free version of the tools, including Modelsim. I have recently uninstalled all previous versions and then installed the latest version (17.0) 

I can launch Modelsim and run the tcl command (/mentor/msim_setup.tcl) to add all the IP files, then follow the template to "dev_com" , "com", "vlog" (adds the verilog files I have created), etc, and then "elab". 

Elab appears to work, a lot of messages about loading.  

Then I get this message: 

# ** Warning: Design size of 75827 statements exceeds ModelSim-Intel FPGA Starter Edition recommended capacity.# Expect performance to be adversely affected.# --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------# # ** ERROR: failed to get a license (mgcvipaeaxi) for Adaptor axi!# # ** Check the license environment (e.g. LM_LICENSE_FILE or MGLS_LICENSE_FILE using lmutils), the transcript and any logs.# # --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------# # # # ** Fatal: (vsim-3960) Foreign module requested halt. 

From what I have read I thought that the free version of the tools didn't have any license.  

How do I resolve this? 

Rod
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Correct - you don't need a license - providing you follow the limitations of the unlicensed version. It appears as though you are exceeding the number of nodes that you can simulate with the free version and/or you're using IP - the adapter AXI possibly - that does need a license. 

Try simulating a smaller, rtl only portion of your design to prove your ModelSim installation. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

While simulating my custom AXI4 master with mentor graphics AXI4 slave, I am getting following error. 

# Loading C:/Users/MEHULM~1.288/AppData/Local/Temp\Mehul.Modhiya.288@CI5W10P111406_dpi_6652\win32pe_gcc-4.2.1\vsim_auto_compile.dll 

# --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- 

#  

# ** ERROR: failed to get a license (mgcvipaeaxi4) for Adaptor axi4! 

#  

# ** Check the license environment (e.g. LM_LICENSE_FILE or MGLS_LICENSE_FILE using lmutils), the transcript and any logs. 

#  

# --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- 

#  

#  

#  

# ** Fatal: (vsim-3960) Foreign module requested halt. 

Does anyone have an idea how to get out of this????
0 Kudos