Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20735 Discussions

NCO with Cyclone V

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

is there anyone who knows when the IP NCO will be a final version for Cyclone V ? 

Thank you, 

Jean
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Do you experience any problems using NCO with Cyclone V? I can't imagine.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Not really, but sometimes I tell him to take DSP block and it does not take them! 

Sometimes yes, he does, but sometimes not!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Not really, but sometimes I tell him to take DSP block and it does not take them! 

Sometimes yes, he does, but sometimes not! 

--- Quote End ---  

He must have mind of his own. If you set his configurations to use embedded mults then he should obey your request. If you set him to auto then you leave free to choose and may be that is what you are doing.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I set ( Use Dedicated Multiplier(s) ) in the parameterize menu (Implementation) 

and the Resource Estimation said:  

2 DSP Blocks,  

2 M10Ks 

12288 Memory Bits 

1977 LEs 

???
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I set ( Use Dedicated Multiplier(s) ) in the parameterize menu (Implementation) 

and the Resource Estimation said:  

2 DSP Blocks,  

2 M10Ks 

12288 Memory Bits 

1977 LEs 

??? 

--- Quote End ---  

So it is ok then. You can also set architecture of nco as (I think): large memory, or small memory, cordic...etc. 

The full memory or cordic doesn't need any multipliers, the small memory requries few mults possibly two as in your case. 

These mults are used to interpolate new values from the small memory samples.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I chose Multiply-Based instead of Cordic, large ROM or small ROM. it should use the DSP blocks (As indicated resource Estimate)! 

For a test, I created another project (naturally with the same cyclone V and I only use the same NCO) and he uses DSP Blocks! 

It's weird !!! :)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I chose Multiply-Based instead of Cordic, large ROM or small ROM. it should use the DSP blocks (As indicated resource Estimate)! 

For a test, I created another project (naturally with the same cyclone V and I only use the same NCO) and he uses DSP Blocks! 

It's weird !!! :) 

--- Quote End ---  

I am a bit lost. Are you aware that dsp block means mult in altera language? So if you ask for mults you get dsp blocks in resource.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I know !!!! 

I am a bit lost also !!! 

I take a break for the rest of today! 

Thank you Kaz for your help, I appreciate. 

If you wanted, I can send to my design !!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I know !!!! 

I am a bit lost also !!! 

I take a break for the rest of today! 

Thank you Kaz for your help, I appreciate. 

If you wanted, I can send to my design !! 

--- Quote End ---  

I don't have tools to compile NCO as I am currently homeless and can't afford the expensive Altera licenses. 

What might help is for you to re-word the issue as I don't really follow your problem. You ask for mults and you get it so what is that troubling you?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Kaz, I understand ...  

Thank you for your help.  

I just try to optimize my design ... 

When Altera said it takes DSP block, I'd like to take them! 

Jean
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't yet understand the exact problem. I can imagine that you want to enforce DSP multiplier style because you fear to run out of LEs or to improve design timing. My expectation is however that Quartus will just do this in a design where multiplier style matters. 

Up to now, my multiplier style synthesis attributes on an entity level have been observed by Quartus. I didn't yet try with Cyclone V, but I don't see an indication why I should expect different behaviour. In any case I don't think that the problem is specific to NCO.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I imagine that it's not just the NCO .. The ALTMULT_ADD have the same problem !!!

0 Kudos