Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

Newbe question ... how to integrate an FPGA based logic cirucit with a C/C++ program on posix

Dan18
Novice

Hello,

I am trying to get my head around FPGAs and in particular how i could accelerate a C/C++ programs by having some calls have an FPGA compute results.

Ideally, i would want to have some kind of shared memory space whereby an in-memory data structure in C/C++ is accessible via FPGA logic and vice-versa, where some resulting logic is accessible by the C/C++ program -- all the while communication between the CPU based C++ program and the FPGA card is high speed -- essentially via memory access bandwidth.

Can this be done?

IS there some tutorial about this that i could review?

thank you,

Dan

0 Kudos
4 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

You're basically describing OpenCL or HLS (high-level synthesis).  I'm not an expert in either, but check them out.  

There are also dedicated FPGA acceleration cards.

0 Kudos
Dan18
Novice

Thank you for your response.

I am surely going to deep dive into OpenCL to figure out what can be done with it ...

From what I read, and if i understood this correctly, it seems that OpenCL is an alternative to hardware description languages such as Verilog. Encoded OpenCL calls are implemented in FPGA, while appearing to the developer as specialized C/C++ library functions.

I guess, I had a different kind of "architecture" in mind -- a way to to create an own FPGA "circuit" -- using, for example, Verilog, and then to have a way to memory map the FPGA to a CPU memory on a standard PC.

Perhaps those acceleration cards are close to what i had in mind ...

thank you,

Dan

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @Dan18,

Thank you for posting in Intel community forum and hope all is well.
Just checking please let us know if there is further clarification with your doubts needed.

Best Wishes
BB

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @Dan18,

Greetings, as we do not receive any further clarification on what is provided. Hence thread will now be transitioned to community support and we will no longer monitor this thread. For new queries, please feel free to open a new thread and we will be right with you. Pleasure having you here.

Best Wishes
BB

0 Kudos