Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20810 Discussions

Not able to generate hps_iws_handoff folder

sgannava
Beginner

Hi Team,

I have successfully created a project using Intel Quartus Pro 23.3. But I am not able to see any hps_iws_handoff folder. What could be the issue? Did I miss anything?

Thanks

Sai

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
21 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Have you generated the system in Platform Designer and compiled the Quartus project?

0 Kudos
sgannava
Beginner

Yes, I have generated and compiled. Still, I cannot see the folder generated

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

What's the target device?  Is Quartus properly licensed?  Do you have any unusual parameter settings for the HPS or for your system generation options (simulation-only files perhaps)?

0 Kudos
sgannava
Beginner

I am targeting Arria10 SoC. And where can I check that parameter settings?

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi sgannava,

May I know are you following the building bootloader document for building your project?

https://www.rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/BuildingBootloaderCycloneVAndArria10

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
sgannava
Beginner

Hi Aik, 

Till now, I have not followed. But now I am planning to follow the same document to start building custome linux image for my applications. Is that good resource? Any suggestions would be helpful

Thanks

Sai

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi sgannava,

The building bootloader support document from rocketboards is the main source of creating the bootloader for the device which is updated from time to time. Our support will also based on this document to identify problems with latest software or tools being used to generate the required GSRD/GHRD files for booting up the devices.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
sgannava
Beginner

Hi Aik,

I have seen the documentation and for Arria10 SoC boards, it is mentioned to use Quartus Pro 24.1 in the beginning, but deep in the documentation it is mentioned to use 23.4. Which one should I use? And Should we use only pro not standard? If Yes, which version of standard I should use?

Thanks

Sai

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi sgannava,

It mentioned quartus pro 24.1 from the document. The quartus version is updated from time to time as the document is updated.

Anyway, the quartus version related mainly for the GHRD(Golden Hardware Reference Design).

The GSRD(Golden Software Reference Design) is not much related to the Quartus version being used.

The GSRD has the steps below mentioned in the document with is the part where it relates to the GHRD. I think you can use your exisiting GHRD build where it will also have the hps.xml file.

"Convert hps.xml handoff file to include file to be used by the device tree:"

You can still use older quartus version to test it out. Some of the steps only trying to source the tools from the specific Quartus version being used. Eventually you will build different part of the required files for system to boot up.

You mainly need to focus on is how your system going to boot up either from QSPI flash or sd card or... where you can select the topic from the beginning of the web page.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
sgannava
Beginner

Hi Aik,

Thanks for the suggestions!!!

I will follow the documentation and will try to build the image. I will reach out to you if I face any issues.

Please do not close the ticket.

Thanks

Sai

0 Kudos
sgannava
Beginner

Hi Aik,

I am following the steps mentioned in the documentation and facing some issues. Few I am able to resolve looking at makefile. One more issue is device part not found. I have attached the error screen shots that I face while running make rbf command. But I can see the device part in tool 24.1

Thanks

Sai

0 Kudos
sgannava
Beginner

Hi Aik, 

Somehow I created the project and generated handoff file in windows and moved the same to my linux machine where I am building the image, but I am getting another error while using below command

tools/mkimage -E -f board/altera/arria10-socdk/fit_spl_fpga.its fit_spl_fpga.itb

I have attached the error screenshot. Is this because I manually copied the hps_isw_handoff folder and .rbf files?

Thanks

Sai 

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi sgannava,

Do you have the file "fit_spl_fpga.its" in your directory inside path below?

a10_example.qspi\a10_soc_devkit_ghrd\software\bootloader\u-boot-socfpga\board\altera\arria10-socdk

And before that did you manage to build the Uboot?

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
sgannava
Beginner

Hi Aik,

Yes, the .its file is present in the path. 

Anyway, I have resoved the issue by installing device-tree-compiler.

I have followup question. Currently, I am following the steps mentioned in the documentation to get familiarized with things to some extent and build is in progress after I run the command bitbake-core-image-minimal . But where can I include my custom dts files?

Thanks,

Sai

0 Kudos
sgannava
Beginner

Hi Aik,

I am following  the same documentation to build my custom Linux image for Arria10 SoC development kit. While building Yocto Rootfs, I am facing oe_runmake error. I have attached the log as well.

This is happening in the build process while compiling linux-socfpga-6.6+git package.

I tried below steps as well

step-1: bitbake -c cleanall linux-socfpga

step-2: bitbake linux-socfpga

But at step-2, again same issues. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sai

sgannava_0-1717188878009.png

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi sgannava,

I rarely build the yocto part as normally I use the pre-built one from Rocketboards GSRD pre-built release:

https://releases.rocketboards.org/2024.04/gsrd/a10_gsrd/rootfs/

Anyway do check if your build environment meet the requirements:

https://docs.yoctoproject.org/3.4.1/ref-manual/system-requirements.html#supported-linux-distributions

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi sgannava,

I will close the thread if no further question.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
sgannava
Beginner

Hi Aik,

I am able to build the image successfully by removing the linux-socfpga_6.6bb (which is causing the error) blindly following the steps mentioned in the documentation. But I have below questions

1.  Where can I include my custom device tree source files and re-build the image?

2. Where can I make changes so that the image mounts to /mnt folder instead of /dev/mmcblk02

Thanks,

Sai

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi sgannava,

You can change the device tree based on your board following the GSRD you have gitclone from Rocketboards. Search using "Socfpga_arria10" in the go to file and can see a list of board related device tree being use. Make the changes to the device tree and try to recompile again if it takes effect.

For Uboot:

https://github.com/altera-opensource/u-boot-socfpga

For Linux Kernel:

https://github.com/altera-opensource/linux-socfpga

As for the mount image to different location. I am not so sure how.

Anyway can consider open a new forum case for the question since the original question to your issue has been resolved.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
sgannava
Beginner

Thanks Aik. 

0 Kudos