Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

Problem with QUARTUS II 9.1 SOPC & NIOS II character LCD

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello everyone… 

I am attempting to get the Character LCD working with NIOS II control. According to the documentation if I have set it up correctly then a simple printf() statement will redirect to the Character LCD. 

I have a SOPC set up with a NIOS 2 

Processor 

On-Chip memory (32K) RAM 

JTAG UART 

Character LCD 

Interval Timer (1ms) 

System ID peripheral  

The compilation de my system is good (89 warning), but I think my problem is the NIOS II programmation. 

My program NIOS is: 

#include <stdio.h> 

int main() 

printf("Hello NIOS!\n"); 

return 0; 

(kit Altera dev EP2C35F672c6 with QUARTUS 9.1 and NIOS II 9.1) 

I need your help, please is a project for my university, the information in the tutorials and manuels book etc… the use Character display not very specific 

Port555 :confused:
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i think that the ram is too small to download your program,you can use off_chip rom or ram

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok, thanks. I am going to try with it...

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I sorry, but my problem continues, I am new with Quartus & NIOS, is possible 

see a image. its very very complicated for my. 

You have a image SOPC with Character lcd or tutorials very easy...sorry and thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You have a image SOPC with Character lcd or tutorials very easy...sorry and thanks. 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What exactly does not work? 

I would recommend the conventional aproach: 

1.) such a small program should not give 89 warnings. please investigate or also post them here. 

2.) use the debugger and see if it ever enters your printf, check what memory locations it writes to. 

3.) if all of the above seem correct use an osciloscope to see whether you actually get signals at the LCD.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello! 

Really not that works badly, I think that the SOPC since it me generates 426 warnings. 

I am really new inQUARTUS & NIOS... and the information of the manuals is not very clear for my, if ud possesses a example or you me could send images the SOPCs realized with LCD, serious of great helps for my. 

thanks very much. 

Port555
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

First you need to check if you have enough memory, if you use the On-chip memory it cannot work with printf() function, you should try to insert SDRAM in SOPC builder and then you have to assign pins correctly to connect your external SDRAM and the Nios with quartus, after you can check if the memory is working well. After you can try to start it again your project to display something on the screen. Good luck !

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you set the Character LCD as STDOUT in BSP Settings of your Nios Project? 

What's the error? Is the design compiling? Is the design running on board and nothing appear in LCD?
0 Kudos