Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20644 Discussions

Problems with chips from the TAIWAN foundry.

Stanima
Beginner

​I am having problems with an Altera Cyclone III FPGA. We have been using this part for several years without problems. However, now we are getting parts that are source from the TAIWAN foundry which are not working correctly. Is there any way to get parts sourced from KOREA? The part is EP3C16F484C8N

0 Kudos
8 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Stanley,

May i know how many unit you received is not working properly? I would suggest to go for ERMA process. Meanwhile for the part source, apologize that we distribute it to our distributor. If you have any concern such as to get part sourced from Korea only, i would suggest to work with your FAE / distributor for this.

Regards,

YL

0 Kudos
Stanima
Beginner
* At this time we have 4 failing units in house and 2 at customer installations. All 4 in house units have a TAIWAN foundry mark with the date codes: GBCAAA1507E NCAAA54572 3N90GE5C00 and GBCAAA1825E VCAAA78752 3P9GE8N00 We have one unit with the lower date code that works properly. I wanted to get a FPGA from the KOREA foundry to replace on one of the failing units, to see if it would fix the problem. We have not seen any issues with units that have a FPGA with a KOREA foundry mark. Our FPGA logic has four identical frequency dividers that divide a 500,000 Hz clock down to 100 Hz. One of these 4 dividers will on average miss counting 20% of the pulses. The other three dividers work properly. Our distributor has no control over which foundry his parts come from. I don't know who my FAE would be. How do I find out? Thanks Stanley Wawrowski
0 Kudos
Stanima
Beginner
What is the ERMA process? And how do I start one?
0 Kudos
Stanima
Beginner

​At this time we have 4 failing units in house and 2 at customer installations. All 4 in house units have a TAIWAN foundry mark with the date codes:

GBCAAA1507E

NCAAA54572

3N90GE5C00

and

GBCAAA1825E

VCAAA78752

3P9GE8N00

We have one unit with the lower date code that works properly. I wanted to get a FPGA from the KOREA foundry to replace on one of the failing units, to see if it would fix the problem. We have not seen any issues with units that have a FPGA with a KOREA foundry mark.

Our FPGA logic has four identical frequency dividers that divide a 500,000 Hz clock down to 100 Hz. One of these 4 dividers will on average miss counting 20% of the pulses. The other three dividers work properly.

Our distributor has no control over which foundry his parts come from. I don't know who my FAE would be. How do I find out?

Thanks

Stanley Wawrowski

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Stanley,

I would suggest to go for ERMA process for the failing unit. Please let me know if you are ok with that.

Also, may i know what is the failure unit and the total number of unit?

Regards,

YL

0 Kudos
Stanima
Beginner

​What is the ERMA process? And how would I start one?

The failure process is described above in my previous reply.

The unit we are experiencing failure in is our Model 7210A Controller. Thus far we know of 6 units experiencing the problem in the field. We expect more report failures from the field. We are also testing units in production to weed out this failure before it gets to the customer.

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Stanley,

I will private message you for ERMA.

Regards,

Yuan Li

0 Kudos
sk5895
Beginner

We have a few hundred pieces of EP3C16F484C6N, produced in Korea. If interested, please contact Steve Kuh, K Tech Telecom, sk@ktechtelecom.com

0 Kudos