Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20690 Discussions

Quartus II Programmer support on Raspberry Pi

MiniFridge911
Beginner

Hello,

I'm having difficulty finding ARM architecture support for the Quartus II software tools. Specifically, I'm looking to leverage the Quartus II Programmer utility (preferably via command line or Python) from a Raspberry Pi 4B (ARM 64-bit host). The Pi is the central PC for our product testing platform and we need the ability to perform standard programming operations as part of the test scripting.

For reference - our target consists of a FPGA from the Cyclone II series (EP2C8Q208) paired with external flash (EPCS4SI8).

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Farabi
Employee

Hello,

There is plan to support Quartus programmer on ARM64 platform, but we also dont have the information about the release plan. For now, Quartus programmer only work with x86 and AMD64 platform.

We will keep you updated once there is release for ARM64 platform.

regards,

Farabi

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

You are not going to find any Intel/Altera supported Quartus tools on the ARM/RaspberryPI.

Officially only Windows 64b and Linux X86_64 are supported platforms.

Especially an older version like 13.0sp1 which you would need for Cyclone II support.

However, if you just want to be able to program boards thru JTAG, read this thread:

https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-High-Level-Design/MAX-II-MAX-V-in-circuit-programming/td-p/1395657

The JAM STAPL player referenced on github was ported to an RPi  where  4 GPIO ports are wired to JTAG TCK/TMS/TDI/TDO
and use a bit bang JTAG interface.

0 Kudos
MiniFridge911
Beginner

Thanks for the quick response. I know it's foolish to hope that Intel would officially support an ARM-based setup, but I wanted to at least ask the question...

I'll pursue a path using open-source tools and/or some custom software. The Pi bit bang JTAG solution you linked is an intriguing one, I'll review and see if it can be incorporated into our application.

Thank again!

0 Kudos
Farabi
Employee

Hello,

There is plan to support Quartus programmer on ARM64 platform, but we also dont have the information about the release plan. For now, Quartus programmer only work with x86 and AMD64 platform.

We will keep you updated once there is release for ARM64 platform.

regards,

Farabi

0 Kudos
MiniFridge911
Beginner

Okay, thanks for letting me know!

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos