Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20644 Discussions

Quartus prime pro 18 upgrade error

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

please see the original project file comes from intel altera cyclone 10 gx devleopment kit called qts_fmc.zip at the attachment file section.  

I am using the project comes with Cyclone 10 GX development kit which compiles successfully with Quartus Prime Pro 17.1 

When we upgrade to Quartus Prime Pro 18.0 with minimal required IP upgrades, I am getting the following error messages: 

reference design name: qts_fmc 

https://alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15742&stc=1  

Source of the project: 

https://alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15743&stc=1  

Please see the detailed error messages below in color: 

Info(286033): Parameter WRCONTROL_ACLR_A set to NONE  

Info(286033): Parameter READ_DURING_WRITE_MODE_MIXED_PORTS set to OLD_DATA  

error(16045): instance "fmc_xcvr_system_inst0|xcvr_atx_pll_c10_1c|xcvr_atx_pll_a10_0" instantiates undefined entity "fmc_xcvr_system_xcvr_atx_pll_c10_1c_altera_xcvr_atx_pll_a10_171_6azhqsq"  

error(16185): can't elaborate user hierarchy "fmc_xcvr_system_inst0|xcvr_atx_pll_c10_1c|xcvr_atx_pll_a10_0"  

error(16185): can't elaborate user hierarchy "fmc_xcvr_system_inst0|xcvr_atx_pll_c10_1c"  

error(16045): instance "fmc_xcvr_system_inst0|fmc_cmos_system_0|fmc_cmos_system_0|data_pattern_checker_0|data_pattern_checker_0" instantiates undefined entity "cmos_test_system_data_pattern_checker_0_altera_avalon_data_pattern_checker_171_5zt5lci"  

error(16185): can't elaborate user hierarchy "fmc_xcvr_system_inst0|fmc_cmos_system_0|fmc_cmos_system_0|data_pattern_checker_0|data_pattern_checker_0"  

error(16185): can't elaborate user hierarchy "fmc_xcvr_system_inst0|fmc_cmos_system_0|fmc_cmos_system_0|data_pattern_checker_0"  

error(16045): instance "fmc_xcvr_system_inst0|fmc_cmos_system_0|fmc_cmos_system_0|data_pattern_generator_0|data_pattern_generator_0" instantiates undefined entity "cmos_test_system_data_pattern_generator_0_altera_avalon_data_pattern_generator_171_5j5zs6y"  

error(16185): can't elaborate user hierarchy "fmc_xcvr_system_inst0|fmc_cmos_system_0|fmc_cmos_system_0|data_pattern_generator_0|data_pattern_generator_0"  

error(16185): can't elaborate user hierarchy "fmc_xcvr_system_inst0|fmc_cmos_system_0|fmc_cmos_system_0|data_pattern_generator_0"  

error(16185): can't elaborate user hierarchy "fmc_xcvr_system_inst0|fmc_cmos_system_0|fmc_cmos_system_0"  

error(16185): can't elaborate user hierarchy "fmc_xcvr_system_inst0|fmc_cmos_system_0"  

error(16045): instance "fmc_xcvr_system_inst0|fmc_xcvr_system_bank_1c_0|xcvr_test_system_0|data_pattern_checker_0|data_pattern_checker_0" instantiates undefined entity "xcvr_test_system_data_pattern_checker_0_altera_avalon_data_pattern_checker_171_j3vxuxa"  

error(16185): can't elaborate user hierarchy
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you upgrade all the IP? It looks like the IP upgrade manager is still appearing there in yellow.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Check the “Troubleshooting IP or Platform Designer System Upgrade” from the following link, 

https://www.altera.com/documentation/mwh1409960636914.html#mwh1409958250601 

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance. 

Best Regards 

Vikas Jathar  

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Did you upgrade all the IP? It looks like the IP upgrade manager is still appearing there in yellow. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi,  

First, I tried to upgrade all IP Blocks. It didn't work. It gaves error messages.  

Second, I tried to upgrade only "must Have" "recommended" by Quartus prime pro 18.0 software. I got the error messages above.  

Regards,
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can you open each IP in the IP parameter editor (open each IP's .ip file)? You should try doing this and just regenerate each one, even if it's saying you don't have to upgrade it.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Can you open each IP in the IP parameter editor (open each IP's .ip file)? You should try doing this and just regenerate each one, even if it's saying you don't have to upgrade it. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi,  

No, even with this approach, I am getting error messages.  

We have a upgrade problem by using: 

1- The design comes with Cyclone 10 GX dev kit 

2- Software Quartus Prime Pro from 17.1 to 18.0 

question : do you think the reference design owner may have a comment on this? unless quartus 18.0 has a bug on this?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No. Undefined entity errors mean that the project is not seeing the IP for some reason. 

At this point, since it's just an example design from a dev kit, I'd trash the project folder you're working on and just expand the .zip file from the dev kit download and start in 18.0 instead of first opening it in 17.1. That should clear all this up.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes. This is done. We have the same problem.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

At this point, if this is still happening, there must be something wrong with your 18.0 installation. Try uninstalling and reinstalling Quartus.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

At this point, if this is still happening, there must be something wrong with your 18.0 installation. Try uninstalling and reinstalling Quartus. 

--- Quote End ---  

I installed multiple times Quartus Prime Pro.
0 Kudos