Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20637 Discussions

Questions about Configuring the De5-Net FPGA Board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

when i followed the steps in the "de5net_network_opencl_manual.pdf", i got the following problems: 

1.in "test ‘aocl flash’ command" section, after i finished the clock setting and tried to use "aocl program acl0 bin/fft2d.aocx" to test the progrom, i got the following errors: 

aocl program: Running reprogram from /home/storm/altera/14.0/hld/board/de5net_network/linux64/libexec 

Unable to open the device acl0. 

aocl program: Program failed. 

2.in the "driver installation " section, when i use "aocl install " or "./make_all " to install the driver, i got the following errors: 

aocl install: Running install from /home/storm/altera/14.0/hld/board/de5net_network/linux64/libexec 

Using kernel source files from /usr/src/linux-headers-3.16.0-30-generic 

make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.16.0-30-generic' 

CC [M] /tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN/aclpci_queue.o 

CC [M] /tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN/aclpci.o 

/tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN/aclpci.c:61:22: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘probe’ 

static int __devinit probe(struct pci_dev *dev, const struct pci_device_id *id); 

/tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN/aclpci.c:62:22: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘init_chrdev’ 

static int __devinit init_chrdev (struct aclpci_dev *aclpci); 

/tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN/aclpci.c:63:23: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘remove’ 

static void __devexit remove(struct pci_dev *dev); 

/tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN/aclpci.c:65:22: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘scan_bars’ 

static int __devinit scan_bars(struct aclpci_dev *aclpci, struct pci_dev *dev); 

/tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN/aclpci.c:66:22: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘map_bars’ 

static int __devinit map_bars(struct aclpci_dev *aclpci, struct pci_dev *dev); 

/tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN/aclpci.c:82:12: error: ‘probe’ undeclared here (not in a function) 

.probe = probe, 

/tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN/aclpci.c:83:13: error: ‘remove’ undeclared here (not in a function) 

.remove = remove, 

/tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN/aclpci.c:115:22: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘init_chrdev’ 

static int __devinit init_chrdev (struct aclpci_dev *aclpci) { 

/tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN/aclpci.c:489:22: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘probe’ 

static int __devinit probe(struct pci_dev *dev, const struct pci_device_id *id) { 

/tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN/aclpci.c:571:22: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘scan_bars’ 

static int __devinit scan_bars(struct aclpci_dev *aclpci, struct pci_dev *dev) 

/tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN/aclpci.c:592:22: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘map_bars’ 

static int __devinit map_bars(struct aclpci_dev *aclpci, struct pci_dev *dev) 

/tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN/aclpci.c:640:23: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘remove’ 

static void __devexit remove(struct pci_dev *dev) { 

/tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN/aclpci.c:628:13: warning: ‘free_bars’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function] 

static void free_bars(struct aclpci_dev *aclpci, struct pci_dev *dev) { 

/tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN/aclpci.c:103:21: warning: ‘aclpci_get_free’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function] 

static unsigned int aclpci_get_free(void) 

/tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN/aclpci.c:449:24: warning: ‘find_upstream_dev’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function] 

static struct pci_dev* find_upstream_dev (struct pci_dev *dev) { 

make[1]: *** [/tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN/aclpci.o] Error 1 

make: *** [_module_/tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN] Error 2 

make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.16.0-30-generic' 

cp: cannot stat ‘./aclpci_drv.ko’: No such file or directory 

cp: cannot create regular file ‘/etc/sysconfig/modules/aclpci.modules’: No such file or directory 

chmod: cannot access ‘/etc/sysconfig/modules/aclpci.modules’: No such file or directory 

modprobe: FATAL: Module aclpci_drv not found. 

The Operating system is Ubuntu and the board is De5-NET FPGA. 

I appreciate if anyone can help me. 

Thanks, 

Jiawen 

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I also meet the same problem. May I know if you have solved that?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The kernel is too new. Downgrading your kernel will solve the errors shown above.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Chris, 

I didn't solve this problem yet. After you downgrade the kernel, did you install it successfully? 

I use the 14.04 of Ubuntu. Should I downgrade it into 12.0 of Ubuntu? 

Thanks 

Jiawen 

--- Quote Start ---  

The kernel is too new. Downgrading your kernel will solve the errors shown above. 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi Chris, 

I didn't solve this problem yet. After you downgrade the kernel, did you install it successfully? 

I use the 14.04 of Ubuntu. Should I downgrade it into 12.0 of Ubuntu? 

Thanks 

Jiawen 

--- Quote End ---  

I am not using Ubuntu for the fpga board. But you can check the kernel version to decide which version to roll back to. The kernel should include a set of macros (such as __devint).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I would not roll-back your kernel. That seems like too much effort ;) 

There are a few changes one can make to get this to work in 14.04LTS Trusty Ubuntu. So far I've had no problems but I do need to test more. 

Firstly, the aocl install command wont work. You need to go manual 

navigate to altera/15.0/hld/board/terasic/de5net/linux64/driver 

Modify the file aclpci_cmd.c removing any of the __ macros before the function declarations. Also comment out lines 442 to 434 

if (dev->aer_firmware_first) { 

return -EIO; 

install the headers for your current kernel (apt-get install linux-kernel-headers) 

change the make_all.sh file so the path points to your new kernel headers directory (something like /usr/src/linux-headers-3.16.0-50-generic) 

run make_all.sh - this will result in the file aclpci_drv.ko 

Copy this file to /lib/modules/3.16.0-50-generic/misc (replacing 3.16.0-50-generic with your current kernel) 

Run modprobe aclpci_drv and then check dmesg for any problems. 

Job done! So far this works for me in terms of checking for programs that are flashed to the memory. I need to perform more testing which I will
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I would not roll-back your kernel. That seems like too much effort ;) 

There are a few changes one can make to get this to work in 14.04LTS Trusty Ubuntu. So far I've had no problems but I do need to test more. 

Firstly, the aocl install command wont work. You need to go manual 

navigate to altera/15.0/hld/board/terasic/de5net/linux64/driver 

Modify the file aclpci_cmd.c removing any of the __ macros before the function declarations. Also comment out lines 442 to 434 

return -EIO; 

install the headers for your current kernel (apt-get install linux-kernel-headers) 

change the make_all.sh file so the path points to your new kernel headers directory (something like /usr/src/linux-headers-3.16.0-50-generic) 

run make_all.sh - this will result in the file aclpci_drv.ko 

Copy this file to /lib/modules/3.16.0-50-generic/misc (replacing 3.16.0-50-generic with your current kernel) 

Run modprobe aclpci_drv and then check dmesg for any problems. 

Job done! So far this works for me in terms of checking for programs that are flashed to the memory. I need to perform more testing which I will 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi oni, 

Thank you so much for you reply! I have followed every step and then run make_all.sh, but I got the following error messages and didn't result in the file ecliptic_drv.ko: 

CC [M] /home/storm/altera/15.0/hld/board/de5net_network/linux64/driver/aclpci.o 

/home/storm/altera/15.0/hld/board/de5net_network/linux64/driver/aclpci.c:61:22: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘probe’ 

static int __devinit probe(struct pci_dev *dev, const struct pci_device_id *id); 

/home/storm/altera/15.0/hld/board/de5net_network/linux64/driver/aclpci.c:62:22: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘init_chrdev’ 

/home/storm/altera/15.0/hld/board/de5net_network/linux64/driver/aclpci.c:63:23: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘remove’ 

/home/storm/altera/15.0/hld/board/de5net_network/linux64/driver/aclpci.c:65:22: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘scan_bars’ 

/home/storm/altera/15.0/hld/board/de5net_network/linux64/driver/aclpci.c:66:22: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘map_bars’ 

/home/storm/altera/15.0/hld/board/de5net_network/linux64/driver/aclpci.c:82:12: error: ‘probe’ undeclared here (not in a function) 

.probe = probe, 

/home/storm/altera/15.0/hld/board/de5net_network/linux64/driver/aclpci.c:83:13: error: ‘remove’ undeclared here (not in a function) 

.remove = remove, 

/home/storm/altera/15.0/hld/board/de5net_network/linux64/driver/aclpci.c:115:22: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘init_chrdev’ 

/home/storm/altera/15.0/hld/board/de5net_network/linux64/driver/aclpci.c:489:22: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘probe’ 

static int __devinit probe(struct pci_dev *dev, const struct pci_device_id *id) { 

/home/storm/altera/15.0/hld/board/de5net_network/linux64/driver/aclpci.c:571:22: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘scan_bars’ 

/home/storm/altera/15.0/hld/board/de5net_network/linux64/driver/aclpci.c:592:22: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘map_bars’ 

/home/storm/altera/15.0/hld/board/de5net_network/linux64/driver/aclpci.c:640:23: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘remove’ 

/home/storm/altera/15.0/hld/board/de5net_network/linux64/driver/aclpci.c:628:13: warning: ‘free_bars’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function] 

/home/storm/altera/15.0/hld/board/de5net_network/linux64/driver/aclpci.c:103:21: warning: ‘aclpci_get_free’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function] 

/home/storm/altera/15.0/hld/board/de5net_network/linux64/driver/aclpci.c:449:24: warning: ‘find_upstream_dev’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function] 

make[1]: *** [/home/storm/altera/15.0/hld/board/de5net_network/linux64/driver/aclpci.o] Error 1 

make: *** [_module_/home/storm/altera/15.0/hld/board/de5net_network/linux64/driver] Error 2 

I hope I could get your reply and deal with this problem. 

Thanks, 

Jiawen
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I should probably post a patch file at some point, but it is the __devinit, __devexit and other such macros that are causing issues as they are not defined in the altera lib and therefore I assume they are defined in the older kernel headers. Remove all these and try again.  

Cheers 

B
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I should probably post a patch file at some point, but it is the __devinit, __devexit and other such macros that are causing issues as they are not defined in the altera lib and therefore I assume they are defined in the older kernel headers. Remove all these and try again.  

Cheers 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you so much for you reply soon! I solved the problem mentioned above! But I got a new error message as following: 

CC [M] /home/storm/altera/15.0/hld/board/de5net_network/linux64/driver/aclpci_cmd.o 

/home/storm/altera/15.0/hld/board/de5net_network/linux64/driver/aclpci_cmd.c: In function ‘aclpci_exec_cmd’: 

/home/storm/altera/15.0/hld/board/de5net_network/linux64/driver/aclpci_cmd.c:83:12: error: void value not ignored as it ought to be 

result = pci_restore_state(aclpci->pci_dev); 

/home/storm/altera/15.0/hld/board/de5net_network/linux64/driver/aclpci_cmd.c: In function ‘get_aer_uerr_mask_reg’: 

/home/storm/altera/15.0/hld/board/de5net_network/linux64/driver/aclpci_cmd.c:438:10: error: ‘struct pci_dev’ has no member named ‘aer_firmware_first’ 

make[1]: *** [/home/storm/altera/15.0/hld/board/de5net_network/linux64/driver/aclpci_cmd.o] Error 1 

make: *** [_module_/home/storm/altera/15.0/hld/board/de5net_network/linux64/driver] Error 2 

It that the same problem above? 

I am looking for your reply online and hope I would deal with it. 

Thank you, 

Jiawen
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi B, 

I have deal with the problem successfully!! 

Thank you so much for you reply and help! 

Best wishes, 

Jiawen 

--- Quote End ---  

Np! I think I just commented out these lines as they seemed to me to be an edge case, though this might come back to bite me later on :S 

Cheers 

B
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi B, 

After everything was setting and compile the test code of OpenCl successfully, when I tried to run the file, I got the following errors: 

storm@storm:~/altera/15.0/hld/board/de5net_network/tests/matrix_mult/bin$ ./matrix_mult  

./matrix_mult: error while loading shared libraries: libalteracl.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory 

Do you know what is the problem? I have followed the manual step by step to set up. 

Thank you, 

Jiawen
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi B, 

I have deal with the problem successfully!! 

Thank you so much for you reply and help! 

Best wishes, 

Jiawen 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi Jiawen, 

For the first question, the unable to open device acl0. Can I know if you also solve that? Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi Jiawen, 

For the first question, the unable to open device acl0. Can I know if you also solve that? Thanks 

--- Quote End ---  

After I installed the drivers successfully, I still had this problem and didn't deal with it. The errors are as followings: 

root@storm:/home/storm/altera/14.0/hld/board/de5net_network/tests/fft2d# aocl program acl0 bin/fft2d.aocx 

aocl program: Running reprogram from /home/storm/altera/14.0/hld/board/de5net_network/linux64/libexec 

I appreciate someone can give me any suggestion. 

Best wishes, 

Jiawen
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

After I installed the drivers successfully, I still had this problem and didn't deal with it. The errors are as followings: 

root@storm:/home/storm/altera/14.0/hld/board/de5net_network/tests/fft2d# aocl program acl0 bin/fft2d.aocx 

I appreciate someone can give me any suggestion. 

Best wishes, 

Jiawen 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi Jiawen, 

Did you try the aocl diagnose to make sure the system can find the fpga device currently?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi Jiawen, 

Did you try the aocl diagnose to make sure the system can find the fpga device currently? 

--- Quote End ---  

I tried aocl diagnose. But it didn't detect any FPGA devices. Do you know what's the problem?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am chinese . So my english is poor and i need the same problem which you solved ? can you help me solve this problem?  

thank you!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

when i followed the steps in the "de5net_network_opencl_manual.pdf", i got the following problems: 

1.in "test ‘aocl flash’ command" section, after i finished the clock setting and tried to use "aocl program acl0 bin/fft2d.aocx" to test the progrom, i got the following errors: 

2.in the "driver installation " section, when i use "aocl install " or "./make_all " to install the driver, i got the following errors: 

aocl install: Running install from /home/storm/altera/14.0/hld/board/de5net_network/linux64/libexec 

CC [M] /tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN/aclpci_queue.o 

CC [M] /tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN/aclpci.o 

/tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN/aclpci.c:61:22: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘probe’ 

/tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN/aclpci.c:62:22: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘init_chrdev’ 

/tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN/aclpci.c:63:23: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘remove’ 

/tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN/aclpci.c:65:22: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘scan_bars’ 

/tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN/aclpci.c:66:22: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘map_bars’ 

/tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN/aclpci.c:82:12: error: ‘probe’ undeclared here (not in a function) 

.probe = probe, 

/tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN/aclpci.c:83:13: error: ‘remove’ undeclared here (not in a function) 

.remove = remove, 

/tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN/aclpci.c:115:22: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘init_chrdev’ 

/tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN/aclpci.c:489:22: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘probe’ 

/tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN/aclpci.c:571:22: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘scan_bars’ 

/tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN/aclpci.c:592:22: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘map_bars’ 

/tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN/aclpci.c:640:23: error: expected ‘=’, ‘,’, ‘;’, ‘asm’ or ‘__attribute__’ before ‘remove’ 

/tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN/aclpci.c:628:13: warning: ‘free_bars’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function] 

/tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN/aclpci.c:103:21: warning: ‘aclpci_get_free’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function] 

/tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN/aclpci.c:449:24: warning: ‘find_upstream_dev’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function] 

make[1]: *** [/tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN/aclpci.o] Error 1 

make: *** [_module_/tmp/opencl_driver_yH5TgN] Error 2 

cp: cannot stat ‘./aclpci_drv.ko’: No such file or directory 

cp: cannot create regular file ‘/etc/sysconfig/modules/aclpci.modules’: No such file or directory 

chmod: cannot access ‘/etc/sysconfig/modules/aclpci.modules’: No such file or directory 

modprobe: FATAL: Module aclpci_drv not found. 

The Operating system is Ubuntu and the board is De5-NET FPGA. 

I appreciate if anyone can help me. 

Thanks, 

Jiawen 

--- Quote End ---  

I need the same problem.Please help me! Thank you!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When i do aocl install,I need some problem.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It seems that Ubuntu cannot support the OpenCL well. Please have a try to use Red Hat Ehterprise 64-bit Linux instead. Altera recommand to use this one on working with OpenCl.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have an easier way of getting this running which works on the latest Centos-7 and I presume will also work on Ubuntu and other distributions. 

First navigate to the linux/driver of the BSP.  

Firstly edit aclpci.c: At the top of the file add the lines #define __devinit # define __devexit 

Secondly edit aclpci_cmd.c: On line 83 remove the assignment Change result = pci_restore_state(aclpci->pci_dev); to pci_restore_state(aclpci->pci_dev);On lines 438-440 comment out (or delete) the statement if (dev->aer_firmware_first) { return -EIO; } 

You should now be able to run "aocl install" successfully.
0 Kudos