Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

Questions about the boot from the QSPI Flash.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Board: Cyclone V SoC FPGA 

I try to boot from QSPI Flash in this board, but it does not work. 

BSEL tried both 0x6(1.8V QSPI Flash) and 0x7(3.0V QSPI Flash). 

Tools that were used is quartus_hps.exe. 

First I tried the following to boot up to U-BOOT. 

write to 0x00000000, 0x00010000, 0x00020000, 0x00030000 the u-boot-spl.bin. 

Write to the 0x00050000 socfpga_cyclone5.dtb. 

Write to the 0x00060000 u-boot.bin. 

Is there a mistake or excess or deficiency of the procedure? 

Thanks, 

ozawa
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, ozawa (http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/member.php?u=86533). you can refer to altera rocket board for the QSPI arrangement  

http://rocketboards.org/foswiki/documentation/bootthearrowsockitfromqspi 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi Peli 

Thank you for the information. 

Refer to this URL and "SoC EDS user guide - HPS Preloader User Guide", was successfully booted from the QSPI Flash. 

Thanks, 

ozawa
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, Peli. 

Refer to this URL and "SoC EDS user guide - HPS Preloader User Guide", was successfully booted from the QSPI Flash. 

Thanks, 

ozawa
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

! Please, in details write process of BareMetal example with 4 might diodes and Preloader source changing, compiling, converting formats, jumpering and final writing to flash -- Altera don`t make this in all documents, very important make it right, don`t started!

0 Kudos
AKb
Beginner

Hello,

I have a custom board with cyclone V SOC . I have a 1Gbit QSPI flash attached to the HPS portion of SOC. I want to boot the HPS with qspi flash. I able to do it debug mode. But not able to do it in program mode. what i mean is that i am able to load the rbf files into the qspi flash and read back this files and program the fpga successfully in debug mode. But when i try to do it program mode it is not working. I have generated preloader_-mkpimage.bin file with all the necesssary settings as mentioned in HPS qspi boot guide documentation. i load this preloader-mkpimage in 0x00000000 address of QSPI flash using the commands in SOC Command shell. then i load my application bin file generated after compilation of my design at 0x60000 address of flash by using commands in SOC EDS Command shell. Both this operation is successfull. MSEL pins are correctly selected for QSPI Boot. When i reboot the equipment the system is not booting. Am i missing certain settings at bsp generation or in make file or the linker file. Please specify.

Regards

Avi

0 Kudos
hsaee6
Beginner

We made our own baremetal tutorial.
this tutorial explains the start to end complete procedure for making the baremetal application on the HPS.

overview about this tutorial

1. you need to make the DDR3 settings in the QSYS HPS.
  2. you need to use the “hps_isw_handoff” generated by QSYS HPS and make the preloader from bsp editor.
  3. do the settings of the bsp editor so that you can boot from QSPI.
  4. make the preloader and store the preloader on the QSPI.
  5. make the binary image of your baremetal application using the fromelf command in DS-5 Build steps.
  6. add the baremetal header to your binary file which is generated from your c code compilation.
  7. program this binary file on the QSPI and power off and on your device.

now you are successful to boot your c program

0 Kudos