Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20680 Discussions

RTL files @TCL & QSF -> how to keep compatible and consistent?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All, 

I'd like to keep a list of the RTL files in a separate TCL file and then source this file from QSF. 

Let's say I keep a list of the RTL files in the rtl.tcl and then source it from QSF using source rtl.tcl 

The problem is so that the QSF file is updated with the contents of the rtl.tcl - after running the compilation, all contents of the rtl.tcl appears in the QSF file. 

So, if the content of the rtl.tcl has been changed (some RTL files were removed from the list), the "old" RTL files still present in QSF and I need to remove them manually. 

So, how to solve this problem? How to keep the RTL files in a separate TCL file so that the QSF file will be aware about all the changes in this TCL (if some file was removed from TCL then it also should be removed from QSF)? 

Thank you!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Could you add all the source files in a QIP file, and you could add only this file in your rtl.tcl? This way, only the QIP file will be written to the QSF file. If any changes are made in the QIP file, your QSF will still remain the same.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Or you could add a library, a folder of files, instead of individual files.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

"Or you could add a library, a folder of files, instead of individual files" - could you please provide an example? I have never did it before (adding a library, which is a folder...)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In the settings for your project, you can add folders instead of just individual files (Add/Remove Files or go to the IP settings). I don't have the software open right now to check what the exact settings names are.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

will it also include subfolders?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think so. Not sure.

0 Kudos