Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

Remote firmware update of MAX10 over a serial interface (like a serial boot loader)

EnthuMan
Beginner

We only have a serial interface to a MAX10 and need to have a technique of changing the MAX10 code over this interface. Please advise.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee
Hi EnthuMan, Please find the following link for the RSU reference design. This reference design provides a simple application implement remote configuration and it also include the UART interface (like a serial boot loader). https://fpgacloud.intel.com/devstore/platform/16.0.0/Standard/remote-system-upgrade-rsu-lab-max-10-development-kit-version/ I hope this will help you. Thanks.
0 Kudos
GLees
New Contributor II

You have a serious learning curve ahead of you. I know, I'm in the middle of a similar design. Things will get worse if you use the technique described in the link. It uses embedded Nios for serial communication and that has its own very steep curve.

Basically, you need two designs, one is your application and the other is a serial loader. Both reside in FLASH. The serial loader accepts data and programs your application code into FLASH. Then it boots your application. It's all very confusing and the documentation is poor. You'll need to do more searching, find some example designs that more closely resemble your own. Good luck.

0 Kudos
YWoo0
Beginner

Hi, I'm working on the simliar design too, any suggestions on how to do the remote firmware update without using the embedded NIOS?

0 Kudos
GLees
New Contributor II
SLabe
Partner

Have you been able to locate the template for the slave side of the example? The download is for the master side. Tks,

0 Kudos
YWoo0
Beginner

Yes, I able to locate the template. But it seem like most of the BUP application have to done through the embedded NIOS.

0 Kudos
SLabe
Partner

If you could post the link to the slave template, it’d be great. Thanks!

0 Kudos
SLabe
Partner

I mean the I2C slave, not the UART...

0 Kudos
YWoo0
Beginner

Do u mean the design on the slave part??? Well, Im not able to get this part as well. It didnt attached to the files. We have to do design on our own.

0 Kudos