Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20684 Discussions

Stratix IV GX IDCODE

JayMahr
Beginner

Hi -

I'm a test engineer for a PCBA contract manufacturer working on a failure for a Defense customer product employing the Xilinx Stratix IV GX FPGA.

The device is returning the wrong IDCODE during Boundary Scan, and it fails to program. We have reviewed the assembly for workmanship issues, and when none were found, we replaced the VERY expensive device, only to have it repeat the failure. 

We seem to have so little visibility to this device and cannot tell what the problem might be. HOPING there may be some kind folks with some suggestions as to how we can drill down to the root cause of this failure?

The measured data is flipping polarity on bits 15:19, which is odd given it does not align to a byte boundary?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Farabi
Employee

Hello,

For the FPGA configuration issue, can you program the FPGA using JTAG? this is to make sure the device connection is good.

regards,

Farabi

0 Kudos
JayMahr
Beginner

Hi -

Apologies for my late reply here ('was' struggling to recover my pw).

We were unable to program the FPGA as it didn't appear to be getting far enough into boot to accept the programming. Additionally, after speaking a little more with the technician, he indicated the failure mode was different after replacing the IC. This now makes me believe we did not achieve a good "collapse" of the BGA when it was attached. The assembly went through the removal, re-ball, and reinstall process and is able to pass Boundary Scan now.

Thank you for your recommendations.

Best Regards.

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos