Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Stupid MAX10 question

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All, 

From reading the specs for the MAX10, I am assuming that the single-supply version of the chip requires all bank voltages be the same, and the dual-supply version allows up to two independent bank voltages. Is this correct? If not, what does the "dual-supply" version signify? 

Thanks, 

Scott
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I believe you can do different VCCIO with either. The dual-supply requires two supplies to function, while the single supply lets you drive it with one, and then it internally generates the second supply. I believe this is to help with really low cost scenarios. The downside is the single-supply has much lower specs. For example, if you look at the data sheet you will see specs for both: 

https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/max-10/m10_datasheet.pdf 

If you look on page 29(and other places) the DSP and RAM run much slower in the single-supply device. It seems like a large trade-off, but I know one user who put the SS device in all their systems, it's doing slow speed stuff and working great.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Rysc, 

Thanks for your reply. So if I understand, the dual-supply version gives you access to the core supply, whereas the single-supply version internally generate it. I see the timing specs are much better for the dual-supply version. Thanks for your insight. 

Scott
0 Kudos