Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20638 Discussions

USB Blaster I is working but USB blaster II NOT working? (important)

ocan
Beginner

Hello,

I have problem that do not configure sof file with usb blaster II. I dont understand why is not working. Because I can use USB blaster I so it is working. what difference from USB Blaster I and USB Blaster II ??

Can u help me sir ?

Thank u very much...

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Vicky1
Employee

Hi,

MAX10M08SAU169 can be programmed using USB Blaster II without changing the frequency. Could you please check the details,

1. First close the programmer & update the drivers for USB Blaster II using "1.5. Installing the Intel FPGA Download Cable II Driver on Windows 7/8 Systems" below user guide,

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_usb_blstr_ii_cable.pdf

2. Check 10 pin header connection : 1.4. Installing the Intel FPGA Download Cable II for Configuration or Programming

3. Refer 1.8. Setting Up the Intel FPGA Download Cable II Hardware with the Quartus Prime Software from manual

4. Eventually Auto Detect -> Change File->"Start" 5.you can refer the 2.8. Changing the TCK Frequency

Regards,

Vicky 

View solution in original post

15 Replies
Carlhermann
New Contributor I

Hi,

one difference is the Clock-frequency. As far as I know, the USB-Blaster II uses a higher frequency (to Speed up config time). Depending on the layout (routing) of your PCB, this can cause issues with Signal distortion. There is an Option to reduce the Clock-Frequency for the USB-Blaster II somewhere...

KR, Carlhermann

Vicky1
Employee

Hi,

please provide bit more information,

1. Quartus Edition(Std,Pro,Lite) & version used
  2. Kit/Board used
  3. Are you able to program(programming successful) using usb blaster II but not showing result on kit or programming itself failed?

For difference refer the old thread,

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00003yyPDLSA2/what-is-the-difference-between-usbblaster-and-usbblaster-ii?language=en_US

Regards,

Vicky

ocan
Beginner

Hi,

Firstly. thank you very much for reply my question.( Carlhermann and Vİcky)

1- I can use quartus prime 15.1 lite Edition and quartus prime 18.0 lite Edition

2_My card has MAX10M08SAU169 (fpga)

3_ I add my problem image.

0 Kudos
ocan
Beginner
posted a file.
0 Kudos
ocan
Beginner

Hi Carlhermann,

I have question that how to reduce clock speed usb blaster II. Normally, I can use the same project with usb blaster I and 2.

What do u know that usb blaster I clock speed ?

Thanks ...

0 Kudos
Carlhermann
New Contributor I

Hi,

according to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd03112009_879.html the USB Blaster operates at 6MHz, while the USB-Blaster II operates at 24MHz (see https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd06242013_922.html). In the 2nd link there is also the hint, howto reduce the frequency :-)

Kind regards, Carlhermann

ocan
Beginner

I will try your idea now, so results will share with you.

Thank you very much...

0 Kudos
Carlhermann
New Contributor I

Changing the frequency is done by using the command Shell, Change Dir to Quartus\Bin64 (assuming you are using Windows) and type Jtagconfig -setparam 1 JtagClock 16M ("1" is the number of the cable within the System, should be noted in the programmer Window: USB-0 / USB-1 ,..) and 16M or 6M are 16 or 6MHz Clock frequency (either being support, you may try 16M whether it is ok or go with 6M directly which is identical to USB-Blaster's frequency)

0 Kudos
ocan
Beginner

I wrote your message information but It does not.

My pc cant see USB blaster II.

0 Kudos
Carlhermann
New Contributor I

Hi,

I would assume your cable no is "1" rather "2", thus use Jtagconfig -setparam 1 ….

ocan
Beginner

I write 1 at part so The screen not write sometihng for example ; succesfully.

Why did not the screen write somwthing?

0 Kudos
ocan
Beginner

hi,

I can try but ıt does not work.

ERROR MESSAGE;

Can not access jtag chain.

Can not configure device. Expected JTAG id code 0X031820DD for device 1 , but found JTAG id code 0xE0000001.

Can you help me please?

Why did not work it ?

0 Kudos
Vicky1
Employee

Hi,

MAX10M08SAU169 can be programmed using USB Blaster II without changing the frequency. Could you please check the details,

1. First close the programmer & update the drivers for USB Blaster II using "1.5. Installing the Intel FPGA Download Cable II Driver on Windows 7/8 Systems" below user guide,

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_usb_blstr_ii_cable.pdf

2. Check 10 pin header connection : 1.4. Installing the Intel FPGA Download Cable II for Configuration or Programming

3. Refer 1.8. Setting Up the Intel FPGA Download Cable II Hardware with the Quartus Prime Software from manual

4. Eventually Auto Detect -> Change File->"Start" 5.you can refer the 2.8. Changing the TCK Frequency

Regards,

Vicky 

ocan
Beginner

Hi vicky ,

My problem is solved with your idea's.

I tried step step your suggestions so step 4 ; I changed tck frequency from 24M to 6M:

My file is loading succesfully, thank u very much for reply my message.

Regards...

0 Kudos
Carlhermann
New Contributor I

Hi Vicky,

for sure the MAX10 can be programmed with full speed, but we have one board that has a sub-optimal Routing for the JTAG Signals. This board cannot be programmed w/o reducing the frequency due to noise and disturbance on the board. Therefore, I thought it might be an idea to exclude similar Problems...

0 Kudos