Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20645 Discussions

Using third party QSPI flashs as configuration memory

Ulrich
Novice

I am using a CYCLONE V 5CGXFC4C6 with active serial configuration scheme. To perform  a firmware update of FPGA design, the QSPI flash is written by IP core "ASMI Parallel Intel FPGA IP" or "Generic Serial Flash Interface Intel FPGA IP".

Is it possible to use one of the following third party flash devices ?

MX25L12833FMI-10G (Macronix)

S25FL128S (Infineon/Cypress)

W25Q128JVFIQ(Winbond)

Note, that the QSPI is used for configuration of FPGA only!

Thanks for your answer.

6 Replies
MathiasB
New Contributor I

Hi,

According to this link's Table 3 https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/programmable/support-resources/design-guidance/configuration-support.html

the Macronix and Cypress flash devices should allow you to do AS configuration.

Ulrich
Novice

Hi,

thanks for your answer.

My problem is, to write FPGA image to QSPI flash by FPGA IP core. So more detailled question would be : Does IP core (ASMI Parallel..or Generic Serial flash Interface IP core) support  the flashs I mentioned

0 Kudos
MathiasB
New Contributor I

Hi,

Yes the Generic Serial Flash Interface works with any kind of flash memory, provided you configure the CSR registers in the right way.

The only problem would have been whether your Flash memory is supported as an Active Serial configuration device. According to the link from my previous answer, you should be OK.

Further question if I may: How do you transfer the FPGA image to the core and then to the IP to begin with?

0 Kudos
Ulrich
Novice

Hi,

I checked the documentation of the generic serial flash interface and found a footnote (1) on page 3:

(1) The supported flash devices for configuration memory are, EPCQ, EPCQ-A, EPCQ-L, and
Micron* MT25Q (256Mb to 2Gb) devices

Do you think it make eense to try anyway ?

In my project, the initial programming of QSPI flash is done by JTAG

0 Kudos
MathiasB
New Contributor I

Hum indeed... I think that those memories are the ones you can natively select in the Quartus Convert Programming files tool (the one to convert sof to jic for instance). However, starting Quartus 19 I believe (not sure of the actual version), you can instruct the tool how to deal with other Flash memories.

Otherwise, if you are using JTAG for Flash programming and do not need Flash access after configuration, I do not think you have to use the ASMI or GSFI IPs.

When you JTAG-program a JIC file to a Flash device with Quartus Programmer, it can first load a "SFL design" in the FPGA as a bridge to the Flash. As I mentioned, you can instruct the tool how to correctly address your flash device (see https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug-qpp-gen-flash-programmer.pdf).

For instance, I could do this technique to write JIC file to a third party Flash memory. I just could not configure the FPGA in AS mode, because my Flash was unfortunately not one of the Intel Supported Third Party Configuration Devices for my FPGA (while yours is).

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

We do not receive any response from you to the previous answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

0 Kudos