Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers

VGA help!!!

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi there! 

during my final project i'm trying to build a sniffer (network analyzer) with the DE-2 board and niosii, i wrote a code for the sniffer and add it to the DE2_net example, now the next level that i'm stuck with is to connect it to the VGA port and show the data of the network on a screen. is there any good design for it and recommendations for the best way to combine it with the DE_2 design? 

thanks a lot!!! :)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'd start by taking a look at the DE2-TV and DE2-VGA demos on the Terasic CD.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I'd start by taking a look at the DE2-TV and DE2-VGA demos on the Terasic CD. 

--- Quote End ---  

10x for replying! 

i take a look at DE2-TV and assume that i connect the components of the DE2_NET with the DE2_TV. i haven't find any folder with software inside it. how i'm writing commands to the VGA controller?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

A region of memory is defined to contain the frame buffer for video data. To display you write bits to the frame buffer.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

A region of memory is defined to contain the frame buffer for video data. To display you write bits to the frame buffer. 

--- Quote End ---  

excuse my ignorance but i still stacked with it. i just need to know which component i have to add at the qsys to the DE2_NET project for display characters on screen through vga output.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello levw, 

The libraries and components in qsys (as far as i know) are basically targeted to full graphics applications. 

What you seem to need is what the first IBM pc's did (80x25 crt character mode)  

As an exercise to learn verilog, i am exactly building what you seem to need. 

I am also really interested in how you bluild your netwerk sniffer. 

Would you be interested in some collaboration ? 

Best regards, 

Johi.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Johi,  

I will be more then happy to share with you my sniffer and do some collaboration.  

can you write me to lev.wa88@gmail.com ?  

talk with you in private. 

cheers, Lev.
0 Kudos