Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
Announcements
Need Forum Guidance? Click here

Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
19315 Discussions

What's the proper DDR4 termination method in Intel FPGA?

SYiwe
Novice

My design contains a DDR4(discrete component) EMIF, and I terminate the address/command/clk in the same way with Arria10 development kit DDR4 daughter card(DIMM). Here're my questions:

1. The address/command/clk should be pull-up to VTT after the last DDR4 SDRAM, what's the value of VTT? 1.2V or 0.6V? VTT in daughter card is 1.2V(VDD), but in some other example designs VTT=0.6V(VDD/2).
  2. In daughter card, a resistor connects between CK0_T and CK0_C, but no resistor used to pull up CK0_T and CK0_C to VTT, should I add pull-up resistor for CK0_T and CK0_C?

Thanks, regards.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
NurAida_A_Intel
Employee

Hi SYiwe,

Thank you for joining this Intel Community.

Please refer to my answer below:

1. The address/command/clk should be pull-up to VTT after the last DDR4 SDRAM, what's the value of VTT? 1.2V or 0.6V? VTT in daughter card is 1.2V(VDD), but in some other example designs VTT=0.6V(VDD/2).

[Ans]: Terminate the DDR4 address, command, and control signals to VTT= 0.6V (VDD/2).

2. In daughter card, a resistor connects between CK0_T and CK0_C, but no resistor used to pull up CK0_T and CK0_C to VTT, should I add pull-up resistor for CK0_T and CK0_C?

[Ans]: No, no need to add resistor pull-up to VTT.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Regards,

Aida

SYiwe
Novice

Thank you for your answer. But I still have some doubts.

CK0_T/CK0_C is differential clock output from FPGA to drive DDR4, not the reference clock input to FPGA.

According to the following figure in user guide, CK0_T/CK0_C should be pull-up to VTT. 

DDR4 termination.PNG

So I would like to confirm the following conclusion with you: there's no need to add pull-up resistor for CK0_T/CK0_C, is that correct?

Thanks, regards.

NurAida_A_Intel
Employee

Hi SYiwe,

Thank you for the diagram and sorry for the confusion. My bad, I was not referring to FPGA output clock at first.

Yes, the CK0_T/CK0_C should be terminate pull-up to VTT. You need to follow the terminationguidline based on the I/O standard you used.

Regards,

Aida