Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Why should I learn Qsys/Platform Designer

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've created digital designs for 5+ years. I have never used Qsys. I've written HDL modules, manually wired them, did timing analysis and eventually synthesize them. I never found the need to use Qsys. 

Am I missing out on any benefits? 

Why should I use Qsys?
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I've created digital designs for 5+ years. I have never used Qsys. I've written HDL modules, manually wired them, did timing analysis and eventually synthesize them. I never found the need to use Qsys. 

Am I missing out on any benefits? 

Why should I use Qsys? 

--- Quote End ---  

Basically it is meant to have several ips generated (as well as clock, reset generation) under one roof and wired together instead of module by module ip generation by the wizard. It also adds addressing map for memory mapped systems. All wiring between such modules are invisible unless you export them. 

So in principle it is meant to phase out wizard for a complete subsystem and all such changes are forced on us...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Check out this free online training for details on the benefits of Platform Designer: 

https://www.altera.com/support/training/course/oqsys1000.html 

Also note that some IP, such as Nios and the Hard Processor System, require Platform Designer.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Check out this free online training for details on the benefits of Platform Designer: 

https://www.altera.com/support/training/course/oqsys1000.html 

Also note that some IP, such as Nios and the Hard Processor System, require Platform Designer. 

--- Quote End ---  

Oh my … I thought Qsys was the latest greatest as they claimed at the time.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Platform Designer is Qsys. It's just a name change.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello ghertz 

could you tell us what kind of system have you designed?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Mostly Firmware. Device models. Mostly reading documentation and implementing stuff. VGA videogame....I guess if I haven't had the need to use Qsys....I haven't designed complicated stuff....looking into it now

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you want to design with lots of Altera IP modules, and just have them wired together, with a bit of your logic, then Qsys/PlatformDesigner is a reasonable way to go. 

However (as I do) you tend to use very little (if any) of the canned Altera IP modules, then Qsys/PD is basically irrelevant and provides no real added value. 

So it depends on what you are trying to do, and how you plan to do it.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

If you want to design with lots of Altera IP modules, and just have them wired together, with a bit of your logic, then Qsys/PlatformDesigner is a reasonable way to go. 

However (as I do) you tend to use very little (if any) of the canned Altera IP modules, then Qsys/PD is basically irrelevant and provides no real added value. 

So it depends on what you are trying to do, and how you plan to do it. 

--- Quote End ---  

I don't know if I'd totally agree with that. 

Even if you don't use Intel FPGA IP, you can create your own custom components and connect them together, relying on the interconnect automatically created by PD instead of building it all yourself.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

if you think you are fine with it, that should be fine. 

but I ( and many people ) recommend to use Qsys at least once. 

then, if you think it is meaningless for you , you don't have to use it anymore.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I don't know if I'd totally agree with that. 

Even if you don't use Intel FPGA IP, you can create your own custom components and connect them together, relying on the interconnect automatically created by PD instead of building it all yourself. 

--- Quote End ---  

This is certainly true. However, in my world I tend to move my code between various development boards using a mix of Xilinx and Altera parts. So I try and keep my HDL as cross platform compatible as possible, and not lock myself into a single vendors tool suite. If you don't care about doing this, then using QSYS for your own modules could make sense.
0 Kudos