Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20750 Discussions

baseAddress is 0x00000000?

tommmy
Beginner

regmap file generated by platform designer has these contents <baseAddress>0x0000000</baseAddress>

i think it is not right, baseAddres should be generated with real peripheral base address

0 Kudos
12 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

No, base addresses are either manually set by you or you can use the option from the system menu to have base addresses assigned automatically in non-overlapping ranges.  The addressing of registers or memory locations within a component are offsets from the base address set in Platform Designer.

0 Kudos
tommmy
Beginner

you did not got it .  "*.regmap" file is generated after you set the component base address use platform designer and click the generate button. you can set address range manually or use auto address assignment, but i am not talk about how to set base address.

regmap file is generated by *.svd file specified by

```set_interface_property [interface name] CMSIS_SVD_FILE [svd file path]```

in *_hw.tcl

0 Kudos
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Any further update?

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Sheng

0 Kudos
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Check this https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683609/23-1/files-generated-for-systems.html

The .regmap file describes the register map information of host and agent interfaces. This file complements the .sopcinfo file by providing more detailed register information about the system. 

The <baseAddress>0x0000000</baseAddress> you found in .regmap file complements with the for example &lt;name&gt;altera_avalon_pio&lt;/name&gt;&lt;baseAddress&gt;0x00000000&lt;/baseAddress&gt; in .sopcinfo.

I think the baseAddress you're looking for is the one in .sopcinfo for example like below:

<isBridge>false</isBridge>

<moduleName>led_0</moduleName>

<slaveName>s1</slaveName>

<name>led_0.s1</name>

<baseAddress>32</baseAddress>

<span>16</span>

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Sheng

0 Kudos
tommmy
Beginner

I had read these docs before, and  i am sure the baseAddress in the generated .regmap file is  0x00000000, the baseAddress should be substituded with real base address of every avalon-mm interface during generating. the .regmap can be used for nios2 software debugging, but if the baseAddress is not right, this file would be useless.

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

So you're saying that all the components' base addresses in this file are 0x0 even though you've set base addresses in Platform Designer correctly?  You should also look in the .sopcinfo file.  That's the main file for software build tools.  If that file is correct and .regmap is not, that's very strange.

0 Kudos
tommmy
Beginner

yep, the.sopcinfo file is correct, but the generated .regmap file is not. 

0 Kudos
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Usually nios2 software build rely on .sopcinfo file. Or may be you can further confirm by opening a new thread in this forum https://community.intel.com/t5/Nios-II-Embedded-Design-Suite/bd-p/nios-II-embedded-design-suite

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Sheng

0 Kudos
tommmy
Beginner
0 Kudos
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi tommy,

I'll ask platform designer related expert and let you know the update or feedback.

Thanks,

Sheng

0 Kudos
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi tommy,

Still waiting for expert reply. Will come back to you soon there's any further update.

0 Kudos
ShengN_Intel
Employee

Hi tommy,

Still waiting for expert response. Will come back to you soon there's any further update.

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Sheng

0 Kudos