Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20644 Discussions

configure jtag server with user privileges

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In our computer lab at faculty I need to allow student to configure jtag server but they can not do that with user privileges. 

Computers have windows 10 OS and are members of domain. 

I have look on internet and this forum, but did not find the solution for this problem. 

Do you have some advice how to set up environment so that a domain users can configure jtag server on local computer?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I do not know the answers to your problem since I have not the right environment to test it. However, I am never asked for specific rights when I am using in the Quartus Programmer -> Hardware Setup -> JTAG Settings -> Add Server: Set Name and a Server Password. Then you need to press Configure Local JTAG server and allow the remote access. If you cannot perform those steps on your machines then you will need to contact your local admin to give you the necessary rights. 

Cheers, 

fade
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

@fade 

Thank you for your answer. I did exactly the steps you described with configuring Local JTAG server for remote access. My trouble is that users can do remote programing if JTAG server is configured with local admin privileges, but when I try to configure Name and Server Password with computer user account, configuration is not remembered and for that reason USB blaster development board can not be programed from another computer. 

My question is exactly can I configure JTAG server with user account privileges and server to remember that configuration so other users from other computers can do remote programing of USB blaster development board. 

Best regards, 

RTIadmin
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sorry, I do not know the answer and I cannot give it a go since I have full rights on all machines I use. It is more an IT related issue rather than an Altera issue. I am sure your IT can get you going. 

Cheers, 

fade
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

@fade 

Thank you for your post. But is there anybody else that had similar problem? 

We have classroom with 70 computers and 20 USB blaster development boards. So in order to allow multiple users deploy code on one PCB it is necessary to have configured JTAG server that can be used from other computers and that is not possible to accomplish with user rights privileges on computer. 

I found in documentation that it needs admin privileges to enable JTAG server since a modification to the registry will be done but I am looking to other solution. 

https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd04152010_13.html 

Best regards, 

RTIadmin
0 Kudos