Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20638 Discussions

de1-soc ethernet ip

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey guys! :) 

In the project I'm developing, I need a TCP/IP connection among the board and a PC. The PC will work as a client and the board will be responsible to send the data to the PC (we wanna monitor and control traffic light).  

so i need an ip for the board. How do i get the ip for the board using windows? and how to connect the board to Thingspeak as im using it for iot platform. :(please help me:(
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

yeahhh...my friend also got same problem..how to solve this haa??:confused:

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I assume you are talking about the Ethernet that is part of the DE1-SoC HPS portion. If so, the Ethernet MAC is a hard IP that is part of the HPS - thus you don't have to use any soft IP to instantiate it. If you boot the DE1-SoC using the provided Linux SD image, you will find the Ethernet already usable :) 

That is, unless you are referring to the bare metal drivers for the Ethernet... which is a different story all together
0 Kudos
WKhad1
Beginner

[bare metal drivers for Ethernet]!!

Hi,

I'm working on a project in which i need to transfer data from the sdram of the hps to the pc through the Ethernet. knowing that i have developped a bare metal c program to get the data from the FPGA to the SDRAM and perform the data treatement. now i need drivers for Ethernet for a bare metal project.

do you have any example for that?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

"IP" can mean more than one thing. Do you mean Intellectual Property or Internet Protocol address? 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

"IP" can mean more than one thing. Do you mean Intellectual Property or Internet Protocol address? 

Dave 

--- Quote End ---  

ohh. I mean Internet Protocol address
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In that case google is your friend. Search "assigning static ip address windows 10". 

Regards, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I assume you are talking about the Ethernet that is part of the DE1-SoC HPS portion. If so, the Ethernet MAC is a hard IP that is part of the HPS - thus you don't have to use any soft IP to instantiate it. If you boot the DE1-SoC using the provided Linux SD image, you will find the Ethernet already usable :) 

That is, unless you are referring to the bare metal drivers for the Ethernet... which is a different story all together 

--- Quote End ---  

Hy sunshine,  

we are working on a similar project on the university. We want to stream data of the THDB-ADA Board via Ethernet to MATLAB, but we have one problem we don't know how to go on. Did you create an IP (Intellectual Property) for Ethernet in QSYS or did you run the programm with LINUX? 

Thanks, 

Chris
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hy sunshine,  

we are working on a similar project on the university. We want to stream data of the THDB-ADA Board via Ethernet to MATLAB, but we have one problem we don't know how to go on. Did you create an IP (Intellectual Property) for Ethernet in QSYS or did you run the programm with LINUX? 

Thanks, 

Chris 

--- Quote End ---  

Oh, I have not used THDB-ADA card before - I assume that there will be streams of data that you need to get to the HPS EMAC, in order to send it over the Ethernet? If that is the case, then you can move the data from the FPGA to the HPS using the H2F bridge. This example here: https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/design-examples/soc/fpga-to-hps-bridges-design-example.html 

shows how to use the DMA in the FPGA core and move data over to the HPS - however this is running on baremetal so if you need linux (especially to get the Ethernet to work) then I guess this need to be ported over.
0 Kudos