Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

i219LM and i211AT LAN adapter

AlexNTK
Beginner

Hi everybody,

Is it possible to keep alive the ethernet connection always even if cable is "disconnected" from the adapter (i219LM and i211AT LAN adapter) ? This is required because in case of power shutdown, when system restarts we need that ETH connection keeps quickly alive before all other devices around (switches, plc etc.) otherwise we loose communication. As systems are far away from our office it would be very hard to restore the working process because no operator is near by.

Thanks a lot

AlexNTH

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Alexntk,

We are just following up.

It looks like you need more time to assess the answers that we have provided.

We will follow up again after 3 business days. Should we not hear from you, our system may automatically close the thread.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel Customer Support 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
32 Replies
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi AlexNTK,

Thank you for posting in our Intel® Ethernet Communities Page.

We would like to get a preview of the configuration of your system. Please download and run this tool (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-) on any of your workstations that houses the ethernet cards that you have referenced on this thread. After running the tool, please save the logs on a text file and attach it to your reply post.

We look forward to hearing from you. If we do not get your reply, we will follow up after 3 business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
AlexNTK
Beginner

Hi Alfredo,

here attached the log file required. Thanks.

Alex

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Alexntk,

Thank you providing those information.

Please allow us some time to check on this. 

We will get back to you no later than 3 business days from now.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
AlexNTK
Beginner

Hi Alfredo,

any news about our request ?

Sorry it's very urgent. Thanks.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi AlexNTK,

Thank you for your follow up.

We understand that your request is urgent.

We are still checking on your issue and while we are checking, we need to clarify some things.

1. The features that we currently found out are “wake on lan” features, however it is to wake the system if the cable is connected. Just to confirm, the cable is not physically disconnected right, it is just that the switch where the card is connected to is also off, are we correct?

2. May we know what part of the connection do you want to still be alive? Since when the system restarts, and the other networking equipment also goes out, the network card does not have any network to connect to?

3. To ask would it be better if you would wait for the switch and other networking products to restart and set them to restart if there is a power outage, and then wake the system up so there will be a network connection to the computer?

Looking forward to your answers, should we not hear from you, we will follow up after three business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlexNTK
Beginner

Hi Alfred,

thanks a lot for your aid, here my answers as follows:

1. Yes, the cable will be always connected to ETH adapter, this is only a borderline condition that may never occur in a lifetime. As I told you before, ‘cause systems are far away from our office, we must necessarily take this event into consideration.

2. System should behave like a std-by mode that always keep ETH IP address    (fixed, not DHCP),  alive, available and ready before all other devices.

3. Switches and other networking equipment have to find ETH adapter always ready at first. This to avoid a lack of communication between them.

PLEASE NOTE: I’LL BE OUT OF OFFICE FROM 8/6/2020 ‘TILL  8/30/2020 – FOR THIS REASON I WILL NOT ABLE TO REPLY YOU AFTER 8/6 - DO NOT CLOSE THIS CASE UNTIL SEPTEMBER IF POSSIBLE.

THANKS

ALEX

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Alexander,

We will take note of the days that you are gone, and we will keep the thread open and wait for you to post back.

Thank you providing those information.

Please allow us some time to check on this. 

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Alex,

Thank you for waiting for our update.

While we were checking, these questions came in to mind which will help us find a recommendation for your issue:

1. With the feature that you are after, do you require the card to be active preboot or within the Operating system?

We look forward to your reply. Should we not get your reply, we will follow up after three business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlexNTK
Beginner

Hi Alfred,

from preboot, thanks.

Alex

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Alexntk,

Thank you providing for confirming this part.

We will take note of this while investigating your concern.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Alexntk,

Thank you for waiting for our update.

After checking your concern and considering all the information that you have shared, here are the recommendations of our engineers:

Please uncheck everything in the power options of the NUC.

To explain further, If you disconnect an Ethernet cable from the NIC/PORT when you plug the cable back in, you should be able to regain active link/network without rebooting.

Also, when you disconnect the Ethernet cable, the IP address should still remain active.

The only issue that would interfere with this is if the system also had a wireless card. Pulling the Ethernet cable and/or system power outage may result in the system connecting to the wireless rather than the Ethernet. This can be changed by changing the order in which the system looks for Ethernet or Wireless. The order can be changed in Network connections | Advanced Settings.

We look forward to your reply. Should we not get your reply, to allow you ample time, we will follow up after three business days.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
Mike_Intel

Hi Alexntk,

I am just checking if you already tried our last recommendations. Please update us for us to further assist you if needed.

We look forward to your reply. Should we not get your reply, to allow you ample time, we will follow up after three business days.

Best Regards,

Michael L.

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Alexntk,

You have previously mentioned that you will be out the whole August so this may be the reason why we have not heard from you yet.

Due to this reason, we will just follow up on September 2, 2020 to give you ample time to catch up after returning from vacation.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support 

0 Kudos
AlexNTK
Beginner

Hi AlfredoS,

thanks a lot for waiting my holidays ends….

Please, what do you mean with “Please uncheck everything in the power options of the NUC” ?

Could you explain me better with an example and/or some screenshot ?

Thanks

Alex

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Alexntk,

Thank you for your response.

We hope that you had a great holiday.

What our engineers meant when they said to turn off the power options of the NIC, is to turn off the power saving options of both the network cards.  There is one in the properties of the driver in device manager under the power management tab. Uncheck the option “Allow the compute to turn off this device to save power”.

On the Advanced Properties of the device, please disable any settings there that is about power management.

Please let us know if you need more specific instruction for this so we can arrange one for you.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Alexntk,

It looks like you need more time to assess the recommendations that we have provided.

We will follow up again after 3 business days. Should we not hear from you, our system may automatically close the thread.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlexNTK
Beginner

Hi AlfredoS,

yes...as you wrote we need more time to assess your recommendations because our customer is busy at the moment so i cannot confirm or not what you told me. For this reason, if you haven't other suggestions i think you can close this ticket now. I'll let you know asap the customer will get me a feedback about the troubleshoot. 

Thanks a lot for your precious help, thanks again...Alex.

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Alexntk,

Thank you for your response.

We will keep the thread open for one more week just in case your client will provide you an update regarding this.

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
AlexNTK
Beginner

Hi Alfred,

we tried the setting suggested on i219LM but disconnecting the cable the IP address disappear.

IPconfig command replies with "Adapter not connected".

Could you help us ?

Thanks.

Alex

0 Kudos
AlfredoS_Intel

Hi Alexntk,

Thank you for trying our recommendations.

We need to confirm your results with our engineers.

Please allow us some time to check on this. We hope for your understanding regarding this

Best Regards,

Alfred S

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos