Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20677 Discussions

ip-make-simscript not generating script for Riviera

grspbr
Novice

I'm using the following command line which appears to work but eventually fails -  I see errors that it cannot find non-riviera simulator setup tcl files, which are not required anyway:

/INTELFPGA_PRO_21.2/qsys/bin/ip-make-simscript --simulator=RIVIERA --spd=`cat spd_list.txt` --system-file=`cat qsys_list.txt`

The "rivierapro_setup.tcl" script is also not generated.

Attached is a console script from Jenkins. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
RichardTanSY_Intel

Can I check what is written in the spd_list.txt?

I think your script is not direct to the .spd file.

I try to create a simple project with PLL IP, generate HDL for Riviera only, run Analysis and synthesis.

In GUI, Generate Simulator Setup Script for IP works.

In command, it works with the rivierapro_setup.tcl generated.

ip-make-simscript --spd=C:\quartus_project\quartus_pro\simulation_test\pll\pll.spd --output-directory=C:\quartus_project\quartus_pro\simulation_test\pll\simulation --simulator=RIVIERA

You can try a simpler project to test the flow whether it works.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RichardTanSY_Intel

You may checkout this user guide on how to use the command line:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683102/21-3/generating-a-combined-simulator-setup-script.html

Best Regards,

Richard Tan

0 Kudos
grspbr
Novice

I reviewed the use of the ip-make-simscript command extensively -  I was told I could not use the ip-setup-simulation command when targeting Agilex and I had to use the ip-make-simscript as a workaround. Would you please review the console log attached in the original post above and tell me what I have done wrong. Thank you

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Have you try to generate the simulation file in the Platform Designer ? There is a ton of similar errors complaining in the log file.

2022.07.15.16:50:03 Error: File /tmp/workspace/MCD4_UVM_Simulation/default/tao-2/modules/demux_emif/cores/ip/amr_ac_emif_afifo_pl/amr_ac_emif_afifo_pl_dc_fifo_0/sim/common/modelsim_files.tcl not found. Please generate simulation files for system file amr_ac_emif_afifo_pl_dc_fifo_0.ip before generating simulation scripts.

0 Kudos
grspbr
Novice

Hi @RichardTanSY_Intel 

I have no problem generating these files with Platform Designer or with the Quartus GUI. But I think I found the issue with the script...

It's failing because it can't find the setup tcl files for all the supported simulators even though I am only targeting Riviera.

So what I did was generate use: 

quartus_ipgenerate mcd4 --rev top --simulation=verilog --simulator=modelsim,vcs,vcsmx,riviera,xcelium

then use:

/INTELFPGA_PRO_21.2/qsys/bin/ip-make-simscript --simulator=RIVIERA --spd=`cat spd_list.txt` --system-file=`cat qsys_list.txt`

This way all setup files should be generated and indeed the command succeeds except that it is also trying to find "ncsim_file.tcl" which are not supported, according to the quartus_ipgenerate command.

This looks like another script bug.

First, "ip-setup-simulation" did not work because of a bug - per

And now, ip-make-simscript seems to have a bug.

Is there a plan to fix these scripts? We need the simulation scripting to work for regression testing.
0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

Can I check what is written in the spd_list.txt?

I think your script is not direct to the .spd file.

I try to create a simple project with PLL IP, generate HDL for Riviera only, run Analysis and synthesis.

In GUI, Generate Simulator Setup Script for IP works.

In command, it works with the rivierapro_setup.tcl generated.

ip-make-simscript --spd=C:\quartus_project\quartus_pro\simulation_test\pll\pll.spd --output-directory=C:\quartus_project\quartus_pro\simulation_test\pll\simulation --simulator=RIVIERA

You can try a simpler project to test the flow whether it works.

0 Kudos
grspbr
Novice

Hi @RichardTanSY_Intel 

I think you are right. I may have the wrong files listed in the spd list. I will work on this some more. Also, I think I misunderstood the use of the --system-file option

0 Kudos
grspbr
Novice

Hi @RichardTanSY_Intel 

Please ignore this reply for now. I posted it before realizing the spd list file may be wrong.

0 Kudos
grspbr
Novice

Hi @RichardTanSY_Intel 

Looks like ip-make-simscript script are working fine. I had the wrong file type in the spd list - which gave a strange seemingly unrelated error but anyway...

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Greg

0 Kudos
RichardTanSY_Intel

I’m glad that your question has been addressed. With that, I will now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Richard Tan

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel Support are helpful, please feel free to give best answer or rate 9/10 survey.

0 Kudos