Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

programming issue

poming
New Contributor I

Hi,

I have a question. I use 10CL006YU256C8G. 

Due to the out of stock factors, we found the same type of industrial specification products (10CL006YU256I7G) in stock in the market.

My question is whether we can use the original commericial specification programming file to program the industrial specification IC without reusing quartus compilation.

Thanks for your reply.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
poming
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
6 Replies
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

The same programming file will work. There is no direct speed grade or temperature grade dependency stored in the program image.

0 Kudos
poming
New Contributor I

Dear ak6dn

If the model is the same, the commericial programming file can be seamlessly programmed to the industrial standard IC, and conversely, whether the industrial standard programming file can also be programmed to the commericial standard IC.

Is there anything extra to watch out for ?

0 Kudos
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

Correct. The programming files themselves have no knowledge of the speed and/or temperature grades of the devices. The physical silicon die in each device is the same, whether the device is labeled I6 (fastest industrial temp) or C8 (slowest commercial temp). What differs is the process parameters, which determine how Intel/Altera can test and label each device to meet the required spec.

The issue to watch out for in switching between commercial and industrial temperature ranges, or slower vs faster speed grades, is the environment that your product is expected to work in:

Does your product always operate in commercial temperature range? Or does it require operation in the industrial range?

What is the clock rate of your design? How much timing margin is there? Are you clocking it at a rate such that only a faster speed grade device will work over the full design temperature range?

Only you can answer these questions.

You can always go back to Quartus and change your device spec from say, I6 to C8, and based on the clock rate you supply, does Quartus timing analyzer still pass? Or does it now generate setup errors or maximum clock rate exceeded errors?

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

The following rules generally apply wrt bit-stream compatibility where re-compilation is not necessary :

• You can migrate to the same density device with a fabric speed grade that is faster, i.e. a bitstream targeting speed grade 8 can be configured onto speed grade 7 or speed grade 6 part.
  • You can migrate to the same density device with an operating temperature that supports a wider temperature range, i.e. a bitstream targeting commercial grade temperature can be configured onto industrial grade or automotive grade part. 

If using an Industrial part with the same or faster speed grade and if operating the device in the Industrial operating temperature range, then they should be able to use the same bit-steam without recompiling.

For speed grade; https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/programmable/articles/000078612.html

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
poming
New Contributor I

Hi NurAiman_M_Intel and ak6dn, I got it, Thanks you ! 

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos