Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20687 Discussions

which SRAM that FPGA configuration will be loaded?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear experts, 

I am a new with Altera device (Cyclone III EP3C25) and wonder if someone can help me answer below question: 

During boot-up when the FPGA configuration file (.sof) is loaded to SRAM, which SRAM will be used? Is it on-chip SRAM (M9K)?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The .sof file can load data to both the user accessible SRAM (M9K) and the internal SRAM that controls the logical elements.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Dear experts, 

I am a new with Altera device (Cyclone III EP3C25) and wonder if someone can help me answer below question: 

During boot-up when the FPGA configuration file (.sof) is loaded to SRAM, which SRAM will be used? Is it on-chip SRAM (M9K)? 

--- Quote End ---  

FPGAs have a large number of configurable elements: the LUTs/Logic Elements, the I/O elements, the interconnect matrix and other specialized elements such as M9K, multpliers, PLLs, etc, etc. 

Each and every element needs to have it's configuration set somehow. 

In a SRAM based FPGA, as are Cyclone and Stratix (and Spartan and Virtex), the configuration values are held inside the FPGA by small SRAMs. 

For example, for each 4 input LUT, there's a 16x1 bit SRAM that holds the look-up table. 

When the FPGA configuration (the .sof) is loaded, it's loaded into each and every of those SRAMs.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Daixiwen, rbugalho, 

Thank you very much for the answers. 

It became clear to me now:)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, buy a DE2 development board for a project. and need to read 960 bits from SDRAM to the FPGA in parallel, but I have not found a way to do this, please if anyone can help thank you. 

Greetings from Colombia
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Add a NiosII and a SDRAM controller (both are SOPC IP cores), then you can read your 960 bits

0 Kudos