Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2045 Discussions

After replacing a member disk from a RAID 1 volume, I couldn't find a way to rebuild that disk

MTsai18
Novice

On my Windows Server 2003, Intel Matrix Storage Manager warns me: one disk missing, as the figure below.

(The Chinese in the figure means "missing disk").

Here is the option ROM screen:

So I see the disk at Port 2 is gone. That matches what it says from Intel Matrix Storage Manager.

I don't know what "Incompatible" means though (the disk at Port 3).

Anyway, I bought a new hard disk with same size, but different brand (I assume it's OK), then I pull out the disk from tray # 2, replace it with the new disk.

Now I can see it from option ROM screen:

The new disk is installed at Port 2, and its status is "Non-RAID Disk."

I've read the manual, learned that it should be a simple task, because Intel Matrix Storage Manager would detect a new disk and rebuild it automatically, or at least I can right-click on the non-RAID disk and select "Rebuild", done. Right?

Turned out not that simple -- I couldn't find "Rebuild" option from Intel Matrix Storage Manager. (please don't tell me to find it somewhere, I actually looked everywhere, several times.)

Tried everything I can do. I gave up, turned off the server, pulled out the new disk, and.... put the original disk (the "missing disk") back to the server. Why not? I think.

Now the option ROM found an "Offline Member" disk:

And after Windows Server started, I see a message balloon from the system tray icon area, saying "rebuilding RAID volume." and I know it's working now (ignore the figure below if you don't speak Chinese).

This is my first time replacing a RAID 1 member disk. Can someone help me:

1. When a disk status shows "Incompatible", what does it mean?

2. When a disk status shows "Non-RAID" disk (as the third figure above), how can I make it a Member Disk and rebuild it?

P.S. I didn't try to Reset Disks to Non-RAID, because I'm afraid of losing all data on the disk.

P.S. Intel Storage Manager version 8.9.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello michael.tsai,

Thank you for joining the Rapid Storage Technology Community. I am sorry to hear you are having issues with this matter.

If you get a message saying "rebuilding RAID volume" leave the computer on until it completes the whole process.

Now, regarding your question below you will find the answers:

When a disk status shows "Incompatible" it means the following:

In order to make a disk a Member Disk and rebuild it, you have to do it within the Matrix Controller app. There should be an option to rebuild the RAID volume.

One more thing, if you set your disks to non-RAID the information will not be lost since this is a RAID 1 configuration.

Regards,

Amy C.

MTsai18
Novice

Thank you Amy for taking time to read my message and provide useful information.

Yesterday I happened to have a chance to install a new server, which is also configured with RAID 1.

Since it's a new machine, there are no critical data on it, I can do some experiment. Here is what I did:

1. Replace one member disk (SATA 3, 1TB) with a SATA 2TB disk.

2. Windows Server 2016 started, and then IRSTe shows "performance degrade" and provide an option: "Rebuild disk". If you don't mind looking at Chinese, here is the screenshot:

3. Simply select the target disk and click "Rebuild" (重建) button, and get a cup of coffee. Done.

It's quite straightforward, nothing like the situation I encountered with another old machine (Windows Server 2003 with Intel Storage Manager 8.9, as described in my first post).

I still don't know how to rebuild a disk on that old machine, maybe try to buy a new hard disk that is exactly the same size and same brand.

If any luck, I'll post the result. Thanks again.

idata
Employee

/thread/120733 michael.tsai, thanks to you for letting us know the situation with the new server. I am glad to hear everything is going well with this one.

And, sure If you buy the disk and start the process let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
MTsai18
Novice
0 Kudos
MTsai18
Novice

> I still don't know how to rebuild a disk on that old machine, maybe try to buy a new hard disk that is exactly the same size and same brand.

OK, here I am, again, back to square one.

Yesterday I got a new hard disk from my colleague for replacing it with the RAID-1 member disk on that old server (OS: Windows Server 2003 R2).

I encountered exactly the same issue as described in my first post: I couldn't find any "Rebuild" action from Matrix Storage Manager.

Here is the tool I installed: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/17762/Intel-R-Matrix-Storage-Manager-V8-9-0-1023 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/17762/Intel-R-Matrix-Storage-Manager-V8-9-0-1023

I know, in the manual, it says I can just right click on the "non-member disk" and click "Rebuild on this disk". But really, I right clicked everywhere in this Matrix Storage Manager, there is no "rebuild" option.

If you've read my prior posts, you'll see I have tested with another newer machine, which has Windows Server 2016 and IRSTe installed, and it's quite easy to rebuild a non-RAID member disk.

Is there any other solution or workaround? Should I use the BIOS option ROM tool to rebuild it ? (but I cannot find any rebuild option from it, either).

I have important data on that disk, so I can't risk doing something might erase that disk.

Any suggestion would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

/thread/120733 michael.tsai, I am sorry to hear that.

The thing is that none of the Intel® Rapid Storage versions support your chipset and operating system combination. So, my recommendation in this case is to connect your disks in your other computer, the one with Windows Server 2016 and proceed the re-build process there. Remember, that you do not need to boot from these disks, just connect them, rebuild and then connect them back to the computer.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
MTsai18
Novice

Hi Amy,

So I can rebuild the disk on another newer machine? That sounds promising, and a brilliant idea I can never think of. Thank you so much!

Before trying your suggestion, I'll have to migrate all data from that disk to another machine. It takes time though, so I'll mark your reply as the answer now.

Thanks again!

regards,

Michael Tsai

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sure Michael, to migrate all data is a safe call.

Let me know if works.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos
MTsai18
Novice

Hi again,

This is is a follow-up post about the issue of rebuilding RAID-1 member disk.

Inspired by Amy's idea, I took a similar approach, described below.

There are two RAID-1 volumes on my Windows Server 2003 machine:

Volume0: system volume (drive letter in Windows is C:)

Volume1: data volume (driver letter in Windows is D:)

One member disk of Volume1 is worn out. Here are steps:

1. I replaced both member disks of Volume1 with two new hard disks, start the machine, hit Ctrl+I, then re-create Volume1 with option ROM.
  2. Entered Windows system, a new disk found. So I create partition and assign drive letter D: to it. Shut down the machine.
  3. Pull out one member disk from Volume1, and replace it with the old disk that isn't worn out. Entered Windows, clone old disk to new disk. Then shutdown machine.
  4. Pull out the old disk, and replace it with the new disk, power on. Now Intel Matrix Manager detected one offline member disk is back, and automatically rebuild that disk.

This approach is not perfect, but it did work nicely. That's enough for me.

There is another hard disk worn out in Volume0, which is system disk. So I think it's a bit more tricky, and I might use a WinPE bootable cdrom.

Thank you Amy for your support!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Michael,

I am happy to hear the idea helped. And, thank you for sharing these steps.

If you have more questions, please let us know.

Regards,

Amy C.

0 Kudos