Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2048 Discussions

Benefit of RST with no RAID?

TCrit
Beginner

I have a new laptop and see that RST loads with Windows 10. The computer does not have a RAID setup so I was wondering the benefits of RST. The computer boots off a 512 GB SDD (drive C) and I have since added a second SSD (drive D) for additional data storage.

Thnx,

-TAC

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello TAC57,

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

The main advantage of using Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) to set up RAID in your computer is having additional protection against data loss in the event of a hard drive failure. If you do not set up RAID in your computer, it will not take advantage of any of the features the tool gives you.

Keep in mind that using this tool will increase the performance of your hard drives and lower power consumption.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
TCrit
Beginner
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello TAC57,

Thank you for your response.

As I stated before, if you do not set up RAID in your computer, your computer will not take advantage of any of the features the tool gives you. Please let me know if you have any other doubt about the benefits of using Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) to set up RAID.

Wanner G.
0 Kudos
TCrit
Beginner

Wonder why Alienware even installed RST on the laptop which had a single SDD and no room for a rotating drive.

Since I'm getting no value, and it's just taking up resources, I should uninstall RST.

0 Kudos