Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Degraded RST RAID 1 NVMe boot drive with two partitions

Grogley
Beginner

I can't really find an answer to my question on the forum or other forums so I figured I should ask here specifically,

My system in is a WIn 10 Pro with PCIe NVMe RAID 1 boot drive. This drive has two partitions, a boot partition (C: about 400GB) and a data partition (E: about 1.4 TB). and RST indicating a degraded Raid 1 drive. This system has been running happily for over two years before getting BSOD and RST indicating a degraded drive. I have removed the offending SSD and the system will boot without issue but now need to repair this.

I have repaired other RAID 1 degraded systems but none with NVMe in PCIe slots and none with more than one partition. As such I am not sure how to proceed once the replacement hardware (Intel SSD that failed, Ugh.

Some friendly advice on how to proceed would be much appreciated. Here is a list of HW in the system:

CPU: i9-9900K
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z370A-II
Memory: 32GB (2x16GB Corsair)
Storage:
RAID 1, twin 2TB Intel M.2 PCIEx4 SSD (Split into Boot and working drives)
RAID 1, twin 6TB WD Red (Spinning media for archival storage)

Thanks in advance

Rod

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Grogley, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

· Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer:  https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

· Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

· To save your scan, click Next and click Save.  

2. If possible, please provide the report from the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006351/technologies.html

3. Take pictures of the Disk Management.

4. Have you tried a new SSD?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Grogley
Beginner

Deivid,

Thanks for your response. I must apologize because I wrote my question in anticipation of trying to repair my system. The replacement SSD arrived today and I just launched into trying to repair it myself. As it turns out as you probably know, the fix was remarkably easy, as the ASUS MB has the Intel RST built into the BIOS. The BIOS recognized the new HW, and all I had to do was request the RAID 1 rebuild and it did. Several hours later the rebuild completed and it appears that my system is back to normal. Woohoo!

In my defense, I just went through a RAID 1 repair of an AMD system, and it was not particularly easy and that system is still not back to where I thought it should be.

Feeling very embarrassed but again thanks for your help,

Rod

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Thanks for being honest and open in your response. It is, um, refreshing!     ;^)

...S

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Grogley, 

Thanks for the information.

I am glad to know that you were able to fix the issue. Do not regret writing the question/post, this could help someone that may be facing the same situation and is not sure how to proceed.

I do appreciate the information provided, and I would like to let you know that since you found the solution I will proceed and close the thread.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos