Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Deleted All from Utility?

JScaf
Beginner

I installed the Intel raid configuration utility on my laptop, but never used it. Recently I was having Blue Screen problems and was rebooting a lot to try different things.  I wanted to to speed up reboots by removing the configuration utility (it always comes on before Windows) but apparently, I deleted everything! I need to add that I hit Ctrl-I and on the utility screen and I saw a 30 GHz drive or partition. I thought if I deleted that from the Utility, the utility would not come on anymore.

Now all I get is:

Boot Devise Not Found;

Please install an operating system on your hard drive;

Hard Disk (3F0);

F2 System Diagnostics; etc.

This is as far as I get...

Any help would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
14 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Explain a little better. You did not have a RAID array, right? If you don't have one, you should not install the Intel RST package (uninstall it if you did). Did you also go into the BIOS and reset the SATA Mode from RAID to AHCI? If you did, that's the problem. You cannot change the SATA Mode without reinstalling Windows.

...S

0 Kudos
JScaf
Beginner

Thanks for answering, I hope you can help me. My 2013 HP laptop, i7-3610QM 2.30-Ghz, came with Windows 7, updated to Win 10. I see now that it has Rapid START Technology, not Rapid STORAGE Technology, but I installed the configuration utility and it came on first each time I booted up, showing only an empty 30 Ghz drive, ( not the 950 Ghz). In trying to remove the utility, I clicked the - DELETE VOLUME MENU - which I thought would delete the 30 Ghz drive from the utility and it would no longer show up in the boot. Apparently, this omnipotent Intel utility deleted everything! Now all I get is: Boot Devise Not Found; Please install an operating system on your hard drive; Hard Disk (3F0); F2 System Diagnostics; etc.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all, Intel Rapid Start and Intel Rapid Storage are two totally different technologies! There are online documents that will explain what each is used for (google "Intel Rapid Start Technology", for example).

When they say Volume, they refer to a physical device. You wanted to delete an individual partition on the device, not delete the entire drive (i.e. *all* partitions), but that's what you essentially asked it to do. I agree that it should not do this without warning you what this was what it was going to do - or did you get these warnings, misinterpret what they meant and give it permission?

...S

0 Kudos
JScaf
Beginner

I was warned. However, only the volume/drive described as 30 Ghz was visible or highlighted, so I inferred that the Warning ONLY applied to deletion of that 30 Ghz. Admittedly, it was impulsive, but I would suggest Intel add something to the warning, alerting the user that the computer will instantly be rendered useless.

At any rate, I hope, but have no knowledge of this, that only a reference to the Operating System has been removed from the BIOS or Boot record or somewhere, and that there is some way to restore that information. My question is:

Is there some way to restore the Drive and Operating System?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Sorry, I am unsure whether this is possible. We need Intel Customer Support to chime in here...

...S

0 Kudos
JScaf
Beginner

I removed the drive and hooked it up to my desktop via USB wire. It doesn't show up on explorer, but under Disk Management, it shows up as Disk 3, Unknown, 931.51 GB, Not Initialized and also Unallocated.

Using Easeus recovery software, I may be able to recover. It found 40 MM files, (11575.89 GB)

I see a list of Partitions: #1 Lost Partition -1 (*:) NTFS (38936259) - through #4.

I am considering my next step.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Just to be clear (I know that you seem to understand this but other may not), if the drive comes up as being uninitialized, this means that the MBR and Partition Table have been wiped out. A tool that can recover lost partitions should do the trick but I have never tried recovering at this level (either).

...S

0 Kudos
JScaf
Beginner

I was hoping there was a way to undelete or maybe just simply (re)name the partitions, but I haven't found it. I set the partitions up a few years ago, but I believe the 15 GHz Partition was named HP_RECOVERY (D:), the large Partition, OS (C:) and the Disk 0.

I see the Table is shown as #4 Lost Partition-1(*:) FAT32(109)

I am unsure if I should try to restore this partition using this software or if Intel has a better method. I'm guessing that restoring this FAT32 Partition would eliminate the need to go farther.

Unless there is a way to undelete or name the drive and partitions, I can recover everything to my Desktop HDD and/or an external drive I have, put the drive back in the laptop and reload Windows and other software, then pick and choose from the recovered stuff. Probably looking at a week, if I can find all the install disks. 😥

0 Kudos
JScaf
Beginner

Reiterating, I deleted all signs of my laptop's operating system and drive from/with the Intel Utility. I hooked the HDD to my desktop and am now trying to un-delete.  

Using EaseUS software, I have recovered and copied to an external drive the 99.5MB, FAT32 files (listed below) from #4 Lost Partition-1(*:) FAT32. 

I wonder if I moved these FAT32 files to the HDD, will order be restored? 

$RECYCLE.BIN

Hewlett-Packard

System Volume Information

HP_WSD.DAT

HPSF_Rep.txt

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No. If you have to recover the contents of each partition separately, you need to recover them to another drive. You cannot recover then onto the same drive or they will wipe something (else) out.

...S

0 Kudos
JScaf
Beginner

I would feel better if I knew exactly what happens when Delete is used from the Intel Utility.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Sorry, I cannot answer that one completely. Intel Customer Support will need to step in here...

...S

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello JScaf, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. The information provided by Scott is correct. Now, what appears to have happened is that you deleted the partition Windows creates for booting. If there was a way to recover this it would be with the recovery created in the same drive. I would recommend contacting HP* to see if they have a way of recovering the operating system with a recovery partition. Keep in mind that, if the data is no longer accessible then you will need to contact the company that created the software you are using for recovery of the files they should be able to assist you further with recovering. Also, to answer your question, when you click on delete then it deletes the selected partition of the drive, it should not delete the whole drive but the partition or volume selected. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JScaf
Beginner

Thanks, it looks like that quick, single keystroke is not easily taken back.

I suppose I'll get a 2TB External drive and recover everything and then put it all back on the HDD. I would suggest Intel BLOCK this option to delete on their utility.

0 Kudos