Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Different disk manufacturers in RAID-1 configuration

RConw2
Beginner

Hi,

We purchased a HP z240 Tower Workstation (incl. 1TB hard disk) along with an additional (HP supplied) 1TB, for the purposes of RAID-1 configuration (using built-in Intel RAID conrtoller).

The disk included with the workstation is Western Digital, but the additional disk supplied is Seagate.

We have configured these into a RAID-1 configuration and everything appears to be fine.

However, I have been advised that for hardware RAID the same disks should be used, i.e. same product code etc.

So my question is to get confirmation, or otherwise, that my current configuration is a good one - preferably backed-up with some documentary evidence of the situation, e.g. from Intel documentation.

Thanks,

Richard

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello rconway

Thank you for joining the community.

I see that you are having concerns about using a different brand of the drive on a RAID configuration, allow me to help you with this investigation.

Looking into the case the advice to use the same brand, model, and badge of HDD or SSD, it is a best practice due to using this kind on drives would ensure that you are going to use the same firmware version revision, to avoid mechanical vibrations on the system others.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello rconway

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further help. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos