Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2045 Discussions

Does "intel optane memory and storage management" support Intel Smart Response Technology. If so, how?

Ormek
Novice

I replaced "Intel Rapid Storage" application with the "Intel Optance Memory and Storage Management" application, because the former has reached its EOL. My Intel Smart Response Technology chache volume no longer appears to be a cache. Does the new software still allow management of Intel Smart Response Technology? If so, how?

In the "Intel Rapid Storage" application I configured 64GB of my SSD to speed up one of my HDD RAID 1 volumes. I am therefore, using Intel Smart Response Technology as described in https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005501/boards-and-kits.html. After the Management software replacement that speed up configuration is no longer possible. The 64GB show up as some arbitrary RAID 0 volume.

How do I now configure Intel smart response? I will -- for now -- install the old software again.

ScreenShot 037 Intel® Optane™ Memory and Storage Management.png

In the old software the volumes show up like this:

ScreenShot 038 Intel® Rapid Storage-Technologie.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Ormek
Novice

Thanks to the "encouraging" feedback of @n.scott.pearson​ I figured that not only the management of SRT has seized to exist, but the whole feature is gone. I installed RST 15.9. again. Thumbs up for Intel to at least Intel still offering the older versions for download.

I also did run some tests to figure out, if updating the driver (without the management software) is enough: No, I still could not enable SSD caching.

I enabled everything again with 15.9 and it works like a charm again. (Speedup from 135s before to 27s after)

Config A 17.8. Driver 17.8. Software Write-Through no SSD Cache   Config B 15.9. Driver 17.8. Software Write-Through no SSD Cache (not able to activate)   Config C 15.9. Driver 15.9. Software Write-Through no SSD Cache (able to activate)   Config D 15.9. Driver 15.9. Software Write-Back SSD Cache   Starting Assassin's Creed Odyssey from Steam 1) Steam -> Click (A) 1. After Reboot 2. Again without reboot 3. After 2nd Reboot 4. After 3rd Reboot 2) Fortsetzen 1. After Reboot 2. Again without reboot 3. After 2nd Reboot 4. After 3rd Reboot   Results with manual stop watch: A1: 1. 80s 2. 49s A2: 1. 135s 2. 137s B1: 1. 82s B2: 1. 146s C1: 1. 77s C2: 1. 130s D1: 1. 83s 2. 42s 3. 60s 4. 63s D2: 1. 131s 2. 27s 3. 27s 4. 27s

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Plain and simple: if Optane is supported, Intel SRT is NOT. You need to use an older version of Intel RST to get away from this issue.

...S

0 Kudos
Ormek
Novice

Things got worse. I disabled the acceleration in the boot up RST screen (Ctrl-I) and now I cannot reenable it using version 17.8. of RST. I wished Intel would have put a clear message on the software about EOL. Instead the software's manual still describes it in full detail. Maybe the management software does still support it, but the driver does not?

I found the line in the Release Notes (15.9.8):

Intel® Smart Response Technology. Intel® RST’s premium feature to use

caching technology that enables caching of a device or volume using a

faster device.

Note: This feature has EOL’d and is no longer supported beginning

with the Intel(R) RST 16.0 product line

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Yea, uninstall RST and then install 14.x (that's what I used with my 8 Seties board).

​...S​

Ormek
Novice

Thanks to the "encouraging" feedback of @n.scott.pearson​ I figured that not only the management of SRT has seized to exist, but the whole feature is gone. I installed RST 15.9. again. Thumbs up for Intel to at least Intel still offering the older versions for download.

I also did run some tests to figure out, if updating the driver (without the management software) is enough: No, I still could not enable SSD caching.

I enabled everything again with 15.9 and it works like a charm again. (Speedup from 135s before to 27s after)

Config A 17.8. Driver 17.8. Software Write-Through no SSD Cache   Config B 15.9. Driver 17.8. Software Write-Through no SSD Cache (not able to activate)   Config C 15.9. Driver 15.9. Software Write-Through no SSD Cache (able to activate)   Config D 15.9. Driver 15.9. Software Write-Back SSD Cache   Starting Assassin's Creed Odyssey from Steam 1) Steam -> Click (A) 1. After Reboot 2. Again without reboot 3. After 2nd Reboot 4. After 3rd Reboot 2) Fortsetzen 1. After Reboot 2. Again without reboot 3. After 2nd Reboot 4. After 3rd Reboot   Results with manual stop watch: A1: 1. 80s 2. 49s A2: 1. 135s 2. 137s B1: 1. 82s B2: 1. 146s C1: 1. 77s C2: 1. 130s D1: 1. 83s 2. 42s 3. 60s 4. 63s D2: 1. 131s 2. 27s 3. 27s 4. 27s

0 Kudos