Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2054 Discussions

Error (0xA005005) when trying to create new RAID 1 with 2 SSD Samsung 860 PRO

EHUME1
Beginner

I have a Dell Precision 3630 with two 500GB SSD disk drives.

I just replace 2 SATA HDD 1 GO who was mount on RAID by two SSD.

I reinstall Windows 10 on 1 SSD and 1 have a problem when I'm attempting to use the Intel RST application to create a RAID 1 volume .

In the Intel RST application, I click through the wizard to create the RAID 1 volume, but after completing the wizard, there's a message box with the following error:

(0xA005005): An unknown error occurred while an operation was in progress. The operation could not be completed.

After clicking OK on the error message, there's another message box "Volume Creation Complete - The Volume was created successfully."

I have the last version of RST 17.8.0.1065.

Some can help me please ?

Regards

0 Kudos
7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

So let's go through it again...

You had an array with two SATA HDDs. What did you do with this array? Did you use RST to remove the array from the drives before you removed the drives?

You've put in two new SATA SSDs. You are trying to create a RAID1 array across these drives. You are doing this from the RST application. Why didn't you do this from the RST BIOS OpROM tool?

...S

0 Kudos
EHUME1
Beginner

Thanks for your answer.

I didn't remove the existing array from RST.

I only remove the two SATA HDDs and install Windows on 1 SSD totally.

I don't know that they were something to do on BIOS before remove the older disk.

I have always the old disks on my desk, and, if necessary, i can put it again on my computer.

How can access to RST BIOS OpROM tool, beacause, il don't see these tool in my bios ?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

First of all, you could have problems in future if one of these HDDs is installed into a system that has RST enabled. It would be best to temporarily reinstall them, remove the array and then pull the drives back out.

Depending upon your board and BIOS, the RST OpROM tool may be exposed within a scene in BIOS Setup or is invoked separately by pressing CTRL-I at the splash screen during BIOS POST. I use the OpROM to handle activities like array removal, array creation (though initialization might need to occur once Windows is running), etc.

...S

0 Kudos
EHUME1
Beginner

ok, i will be back on my office in front of my PC on Friday and i temporarily réintall old HDD to remove existing array with RST BIOS OpROM tool.

thanks

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I just thought of something: Where are the PCIe lanes coming from that are used for these M.2 connectors? I am wondering if there is an issue with using PCIe lanes with RST that are from the processor and not from the PCH. Wasn't this one of the reasons for the VROC feature being created? Intel Customer Support might need to step in here to answer this...

...S

0 Kudos
EHUME1
Beginner

I'm not sure to understand your question/remark , but the SSD disk are not M2, but in SATA connector.

https://www.samsung.com/fr/business/memory-storage/860-pro-sata-3-2-5-inch-ssd/mz-76p512beu/

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ok, after putting the HDDs back and deleting the array, put the two new SSDs back in and try again.

Does Samsung have a diagnostic tool for checking out the state of these drives before you attempt to create the array on them?

...S

0 Kudos