Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2054 Discussions

How can I get the array rebuild prompt after replacing two error/failed drives in a RAID 1+0?

Tiger
Beginner

Yesterday, I needed to restart, but Windows was hanging on shut down, so I did a hard reset. The Ctrl+i flashed by and showed degraded status with errors on 2 of 4 drives, but it was still able to boot into Windows, although it was very, very slow.

I opened the windows app and tried to mark the error drives as normal. One drive succeeded, the other gave a generic error. I had some spare drives ready for such an occasion. I unplugged the drive that couldn't be marked as normal, and before I could plug in the new drive, Windows crashed and reset. The next Ctrl+i prompt showed the status as Failed with a "No" under Bootable. Two drives showed an error.

Next, I tried to take out both drives that were marked with an error and put the fresh ones in their place. I rebooted and moved around in the menus, but there was no prompt to rebuild the array.

I have had to rebuild with two replaced drives before and I think it was just automatic, but I don't know what to do now since there's no option to rebuild. The screen only shows the new drives as "Non-RAID Disk." I can't get back into windows because the OS is on the array.

Unless someone has a better idea, my next step will probably be either installing Windows on a separate drive and trying to rebuild from there, or finding an alternate software/OS that could run RAID rebuild/recovery options.

My motherboard is an ASUS Rampage IV Extreme with SATA Option ROM 3.5.0.1005 and I'm using 4 TB HDDs.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello Tiger Thank you for posting in the Intel Community. Please share with is pictures of the Intel® RST option ROOM (CTRL+I) with the status of the system and the available option that the system allows you to make. Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Tiger
Beginner

I can't get to my computer now, but I can answer based on memory.

T​here are four numbered options. Create RAID volume, delete RAID volume, reset disks to non-RAID status and exit.

S​tatus: failed

Bootable: no

M​y good disks that are still in the RAID are numbered 0 and 1 and MemberDisk(0). The two new drives are listed under 4 and 5 and Non-member disk. Something was labeled 64 kb.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel
Hello Tiger Thank you for the information. The failed status on the raid structure means that the data structure and the metadata have failed, at this point; you will have to start the system from zero on the system. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Tiger
Beginner

Could you elaborate? What happened? I thought the main benefit of RAID 10 was so much redundancy that you could lose two drives and still rebuild.

0 Kudos
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello Tiger

Yes, you can loose two drives but this would be depending on the data distribution among the drives (see attachment). if we refer to the attached picture to take it as a reference you can loose disk 2 and disk 3 and you won’t loose your RAID structure and data, on the other hand, if you lose disk 1 and disk 3 the RAID structure and data is going to fail.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos