Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

How can I turn off Intel RST without losing all my data?

Azeem_Izhar
Beginner

I am trying to install Linux on my computer that already has stock Windows 10 on it. The Ubuntu installer asks me to disable Intel Rapid Storage Technology. The only way I have found to disable RST is in the boot menu. But in that menu, changing the storage mode from RST to AHCI warns about losing all data on the disk.

I don't want to lose any data or the Windows on the disk. How can I disable RST while keeping my data and OS safe?

Any workaround that allows to install Ubuntu without disabling Intel RST is also welcome.

Edit: The PC is Lenovo Ideapad S340-15IIL

J7HmY.jpg

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Azeem_Izhar,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In this case, since the original operating system is installed on a RAID when you change from RST to AHCI this is going to cause a hardware change and erase the data.

Due to Linux does not support RAID, you will need to delete Windows completely and perform a clean install of Linux and this is going to delete all your data, that is why you get that notification, I recommend you to back up all your data before you proceed and also check with Lenovo for advice and instructions to properly install the new operating system on your laptop.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.  

Regards,   

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos