Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

How do I know a RAID has gone bad now?

Cryptic
Novice

We have established that RST is deprecated, and that we are now supposed to use Intel® Optane™ Memory and Storage Management application in it's place.  We have established there is no plan to allow Intel® Optane™ Memory and Storage Management application to send email alerts.  

So, how on earth am I supposed to know if an Intel RAID member is having issues so I can address it?  

8 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Cryptic, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to your question, in order to verify if an Intel® RAID member is having issues, it is needed to manually access the Option ROM. When you are using an Intel® product you can access it by typing Ctrl + i when the computer is booting, moments after you turned it on, if you are not using an Intel® product then the next thing to do will be to get in contact directly with the manufacturer of the computer for them to provide the shortcut and the details on how to access the Option ROM on their computer.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Cryptic
Novice

So, if I have say 10,000 computers in racks, all I have to do is go to each one, reboot it, and check the Intel RAID by hand.  I just make that part of my morning routine so I know my RAIDs are all in good order?

Does that not sound ludicrous to you?

Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hi Cryptic, Thank you very much for your response.

I will do further research on this matter, but in order for us to do that, to provide the most accurate assistance and to try to find a possible option or alternative to monitor the RAID status, please provide the SSU report of the computer so we can confirm what kind of platform are you using.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Cryptic
Novice

Sure.  I've attached an SSU result from a recent host currently in our purchasing chain.  We also have a bevy of SuperMicro and IBM hosts which use the Intel chipsets for mirroring.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Cryptic, Thank you very much for providing the SSU report.

We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Cryptic
Novice
0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Cryptic, You are very welcome, I just received an update on this matter.

We will continue with our research on this matter and we will also create a report on this scenario, for that, I sent you an email requesting private details for you to provide, please verify your inbox.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Cryptic, I just received an update on this matter.

In reference to this specific scenario, just to let you know, Intel® has reported this feedback internally, currently, we are evaluating all options to introduce this feature in the new User Interface and will definitely consider it for future releases. Also, this could be customized by the manufacturer of the computer as well and it will be good to check directly with them for future downloads:

https://www.asus.com/support/

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos