Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

How to install and configure Intel Rapid Response & Intel Rapid Storage Technology

GBico
Beginner

Hi! I'm owner of Dell XPS L421x laptop: Service Tag: 7v4dvy1 Express Service Code: 17119294201. The laptop have 8GB of RAM I change de original 4GB module for 8GB module. With Windows 8 have installed and configured Intel Rapid Response & Intel Rapid Storage Technology. The laptop have a hdd of 500GB and 32 SSD msata.

I do a clean Windows 10 install in the laptop.

I follow the:

I have folow this steps:

1. BIOS Setup: Advance --> SATA Operation --> Intel Smart Response Technology
  2. BIOS setup: Advance --> Intel Rapid Start Technology --> Intel Rapid Start Technology --> Enable
  3. BIOS setup: Advance --> Intel Rapid Start Technology --> Entry on S3 RTC wake --> Enable
  4. BIOS setup: Advance --> Intel Rapid Start Technology --> Entry after --> Inmmediately
  5. BIOS setup: Advance --> Intel Rapid Start Technology --> Entry on S3 critical battery event --> Enable

Then I do a clean Windows 10 Pro 64bits Install, then I installed all Windows 10 Drivers. After intall all drivers I download from Intel Download Center --> https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver Download Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) RAID Driver (last drivers and software SetupRST.exe v14.6.0.1029) The download center indicate support Windows 10 32& 64 bits.

All the options indicates in the how to and White Papers are not enablet to configure. I need to knwo how to set the Rapid Response and then the Rapid Start technology. Attached are all Windows Options that Rapid Storage Technolgy Software give me.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AP16
Valued Contributor III

Rapid Start discontinued, no support for Win10. It also requires a separate driver in addition to Rapid Storage.

0 Kudos
GBico
Beginner

Ok. Rapid Start is discontinued, but Intel Smart Response is too? What separate driver is requiered in addition?

0 Kudos
GBico
Beginner
0 Kudos
GBico
Beginner

Hi! Yesterday I try do a downgrade to Windows 8. I was using the backup and restore usb from dell to restore a laptop to factory defaults. In Windows 8 I have the same issue. I can not see or set the array for both disk. I think I have a disk configuration issue. I can not access to intel option rom to configure from bios.

If need something pplease let me know.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
GBico
Beginner

Hi! I can resolve the issue. I give the step I do to resolve. I do it in Windows 8 and then do a clean Windows 10 install. I think that these step works from Windows 10.

• Boot to Bios (F2)
  • Change Sata operation to AHCI
  • Save settings and Exit
  • As soon as the system boots up tap the F8 key to go into Advanced options
  • Choose option Repair my computer
  • Wait for 3 – 5 minutes on the black screen until the system shows up recovery options
  • On System Recovery option click next
  • On user name / password option click next (if password has been set for primary user please enter the right password)
  • On System Recovery Option screen ------> Select Command Prompt
  • At Command prompt type in Diskpart
  • Type LIST DISK You should see 2 Disks listed like below
  • Note down the right DISK number for the next steps. On some systems Msata HDD would be either Disk 1 or Disk 0 (For me was Disk 1)

DISK #

Status

Size

Free

Dyn

GPT

DISK 0

29 GB

19 GB

DISK 1

465 GB

5091 MB

• Type Clean
    • This should clean the msata HDD
    • Type OFFLINE Disk
    • This should make the Disk Offline
  • Type SELECT DISK 0(Whichever is msata drive)

• It should say DISK 0 is selected

DISK #

Status

Size

Free

Dyn

GPT

DISK 0

29 GB

19 GB

DISK 1

465 GB

5091 MB

• Type EXIT
  • RESTART
  • On Restart go into BIOS (F2) and change SATA back to Intel Smart Response Technology
  • Click save and exit and Restart
  • Option Rom should pop up – Press Ctrl + I <--</strong> I can not access to Intel Option Rom. I do not know why but is impossible, but works with out these step.
  • Press R to disable acceleration and 6 to Exit
  • Boot into Windows Normally

Please check for the ISRT.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19477302 http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19477302

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19517604/20416389?dgc=SM&cid=268757&lid=4936943 W7 fresh install + IRST - minimum requirements system error message! - General Hardware - Laptop - Dell Community

Now I know Intel Rapid Storage is not supported in Windows 10, because Windows 10 use native solution. For these native solution, is requiered a SSD partition or I can use all 32GB to Intel Smart Response for Caching?

Thanks!

0 Kudos