Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2045 Discussions

How to reinstall RST driver on Win 10 1903 build?

AMish24
Beginner

There is a known incompatibility issues with Windows 1903 build and

RST drivers of versions earlier than 15.1.0.1002:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/ru/ru/rubsdc/sln318140/windows-10-may-2019-update-build-1903-fails-to-install-due-to-an-out-of-date-intel-rapid-storage-technology-rst-driver?lang=en 

However, my situation is different:

1. Had fresh Windows 10 64 bit installation on my laptop (Dell Inspiron 5520).
  2. Had installed RST driver 17.0.2.1076 https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=6w1fp 
  3. Was able to use my laptop smoothly for one month unless the silent installation of Windows 10 1903 occurred.
  4. In a few days after Windows 10 1903 silent installation (upon my observation — after automatic removing of windows.old folder, containing the previous build)— system suddenly stopped loading (blue screen, as shown in the article above). Booting in Safe Mode evicted installed RST driver from boot sequence
  5. Now all the attempts to reinstall the same driver 17.0.2.1076 on top of Windows 10 1903 ended with «Platform Unsupported».
  6. Any of latest available RST drivers (15.1.0.1002 or later) — no matter if they are Intel generic or Dell ended with the same error.

Now the laptop is deadly slow! Any chances/advises - how to reinstall this driver? Maybe there's a chance to suppress platform checks? Manual installation? Plans to fix this issue in the latest builds?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello AMish24

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Based on the laptop model you provided "Dell Inspiron 5520", it seems the exact model is actually "Inspiron 15R 5520" since it is the only result we got from the DELL™ Identity option on their website*.

In order to install Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) drivers, a supported platform is required, this means, for instance, operating system (OS) and Chipset model must be compatible.

Based on DELL™ website*, the Intel® RST driver from DELL™ you are trying to install is not compatible with your laptop model, please scroll down and expand the section "Compatible Systems", Inspiron 15R 5520 is not listed there.

For Inspiron 15R 5520, the latest driver available from DELL™ is version 12.8.2.1000, and it is supported only for Windows® 7 and Windows® 8/8.1, please refer to the following link as a reference, under Category select "Serial ATA":

Find a driver for your Inspiron 15R 5520*

The reason why the install of the Intel® RST driver 17.0.2.1076 is not able to reinstall may be due to an unsupported platform (Chipset) as the message described.

Inspiron 15R 5520 comes with an Intel® HM77 Express Chipset* (Intel® 7 Series Chipsets), and the latest versions of Intel RST drivers do not support this chipset series (drivers 17.7.x, 17.5.x, 15.9.x do not support Intel® 7 Series Chipsets).

At this point, we recommend you to contact DELL™ support and confirm available Intel® RST drivers for your specific laptop model and compatibility with both operating system and chipset model.

Note: There is a driver that has been released to fix the issue with Windows® 10 May 2019 Update, however, this driver should be obtained from your system manufacturer (Dell). Also, a generic driver from Intel® is available, version 15.9.8.1050, however, it is not supported for previous Intel® 7 Series Chipsets. Please refer to Error Occurs While Updating to Windows® 10 May 2019 Update (Version 1903) on Some Systems Running Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) Drivers

Regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
AMish24
Beginner

Hi, AndreyG,

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation.

Fair enough stated above, but it is absolutely unclear for me - how I managed to install RST 17.0.2.1076 - without any obstacles on top of clean Win 10 (< 1903 Build) if (as you wrote) Intel HM77 Express Chipset is not supported since 15.9.x.

Considering facts from my story above, seems, the rootcause is not the chipset version, but, rather, incorrect algorithm of Windows platform determination. Seems 1903 build is treated by driver installer as something new/unrecognizable. Alternatively, the built-in compatibility matrix is incomplete... Or... could you please comment - how would you explain such a behavior of the same RST 17.0.2.1076 executable on Win 10 and Win 10 1903?

And - also - could you please explain me - why Intel recommends to contact Manufacturer for vendor-specific version of driver, if the stated problem occurs in "SetupRST.exe" executable, shipped by Intel, and included as a part of vendor's package (if we unzip Dell package, we'll see: 2019-11-13 08_48_44-tmp.png

2019-11-13 08_49_32-Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver and Management Console.png

2019-11-13 08_51_27-tmp.png

2019-11-13 09_13_09-tmp.png

).

Thanks in advance for your comments,

Regards,

Alexey.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello AMish24,

Thank you for your response.

I understand your concerns regarding the difference in behavior when first install the Intel® RST driver and the next attempts that are failing. However, the driver must be installed on systems with supported OS and Chipset model. The compatibility information is pointing out that the platform is unsupported. There may be cases when the driver is installed, this does not mean it is the proper driver nor it would be saved from issues if an incompatible driver is installed. In some scenarios, this may also lead to issues with corrupted Windows® Registry Keys.

Regarding your inquiry on why we recommend contacting the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM), in this case, DELL™, it is worth mentioning that driver 17.0.2.1076 seems to be a customized driver from DELL™, also, it is not one of the Intel® generic drivers available in our download center. Please refer to this link as a reference: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29094/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?product=55005

We provided generic drivers. System manufacturers regularly customize Intel generic drivers to meet the needs of their specific system design. In such cases, the use of the Intel generic driver update is not recommended. We recommend using the recommended and customized driver by the OEM to eliminate the potential impact caused by loading non-customized drivers. Since it seems the latest driver available for your system is version 12.8.2.1000, we recommend you checking with DELL™ to confirm driver availability.

Now, you may test by removing the Intel® RST driver from Windows® >> Device Manager, then monitor the behavior. If you have issues uninstalling the driver or an error, this may be due to corrupted Windows® Keys. In this case, a reinstallation of the operating system would be required, or you may contact Microsoft® support and check with them the tool available in this link:

Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed*

*Please keep in mind that links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied. We do not recommend to perform changes or manipulate any Windows® Registry Key since this may lead to other issues and damage to the operating system. In case you decide to download and run the tool, we highly recommend you to check first with Microsoft Support.

If the issue persists, we recommend you to contact your OEM for further recommendations.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AMish24
Beginner

Hi, AndreyG,

To eliminate any speculations regarding "unsupported configuration", I downgraded OS to Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit (officially supported by Dell).

https://www.dell.com/support/home/ru/ru/rubsdc/product-support/product/inspiron-15r-5520/drivers

Intel RST driver for this version is 12.8.0.1016 (https://www.dell.com/support/home/ru/ru/rubsdc/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=jx6h9&oscode=wb64a&productcode=inspiron-15r-5520). After installing it and rebooting, I have BSOD. Hopefully, I've created restorepoint and could revert.

Are there any recommendations from Intel, how to install and use it?

msinfo32 export is attached.

Regards

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello AMish24,

Thank you for your response and the details provided.

Just to clarify, when you mentioned you "downgraded OS to Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit" do you mean you performed a clean and fresh install of the operating system?

What happens is that issues related to Intel® RST drivers (for instance installing incorrect driver versions as 17.0.2.1076) may lead to problems with Windows® Registry Keys. In this scenario, the proper way to test this will be with a clean install of the operating system and then install the official driver from DELL™.

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello AMish24,

I would like to know if you were able to check our previous post. Were you able to test with a clean and fresh install of the operating system?

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AMish24
Beginner

Hi, AndreyG,

Thank you for the reply.

Fortunately to me the problem has been solved. The rootcause was as follows:

Due to previous WIn10 1903 crash on my system (rootcause is not 100 clean for me), disks remained "paired" in BIOS, while in fact they were not paired. I have downgraded OS and installed it on legacy ATA, switching to AHCI afterwards. BUT: every time I tried to install RST drivers and enable Intel Smart Response in BIOS, RST driver tried to read "broken RAID" (data from uninitialized SSD volume).

Fortunately, guys from win-raid.com forum (https://www.win-raid.com/t5592f23-SOLVED-Problems-with-the-Intel-Smart-ResponseTechnology-1.html#msg97645) advised me to switch to Intel Smart Response and try to reinstall OS in that way. Immediately BIOS RAID window appeared and showed me paired volumes. When I "un-RAIDed" my volumes, driver installation (version 12.8.2.1000) and Smart Response mode engagement went smoothly.

Regards,

AMish24

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello AMish24,

Thank you for your response and for taking the time to share the details on how the problem has been solved. This feedback is really appreciated and hopefully, it may help other community members experiencing a similar issue.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos