Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2054 Discussions

I cant create an SSD cache with the Intel RST software with my "Intel(R) Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller"

TQvis
Beginner

I just bought an gigabyte Aorus Master motherboard, with "Intel Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller", which I assume should be able to configure an SSD as a cache to my larger spindle drives?

But even with the latest drivers, the options for enabling an empty SSD, so that it becomes a cache for one of my 2TB spindle drives, are not there.

I can create raid volumes, and enable LPM, but thats it.

Should this not be possible?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

TQvis, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

Just to let you know, the feature that you are trying to use for SSD cache is called Intel® Smart Response Technology. Intel® Smart Response Technology is not supported in all the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology versions, from version 16. or higher it is not supported, it is needed to install an older version like 15.9.0.1015 in order to use that feature,

Please verify that information in the following link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000029766/technologies/intel-rapid-storage-technology-intel-rst.html

We recommend to install the Intel® RST version provided by the manufacturer of the computer since that driver was customized by them work with your specific platform.

What is the current Intel® RST version installed in your system?

What is the specific model of your motherboard?

What is the model of your processor?

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
TQvis
Beginner

My RST version is the latest installed by your own Automatic Update.

Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master, with an Intel I9-9900K.

I'll try to downgrade the RST version. I just assumed/hoped that an RST controller called "PREMIUM" controller, would support the caching feature...

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

TQvis, Perfect, excellent, take your time. Hopefully, it will the "PREMIUM" controller, would support the caching feature.

Additionally, I looked in Gigabyte's web site and the intel RST version available in there for Windows* 1903 is 17.2.11.1033:

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-MASTER-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-sataraidahci

Since the Intel® RST version is higher than 15.9, it will not include the option to use SSD cache.

Based on that, at this point, the best thing to do will be to get in contact directly with Gigabyte, because if they allowed the option for Microsoft to update the Intel® RST version to the latest, then sooner or later the update will be done automatically and you will lose the feature. They should be able to provide further suggestions on this topic:

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Support

Once you get the chance, please let us know the results.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
TQvis
Beginner

Could you clarify that the hardware itself is CAPABLE of ssd caching? And that this is simply a software issue?

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

TQvis, Thank you very much for your response.

In reference to your question, when it is mentioned that the hardware is capable, what it means is that the chipset of the motherboard is capable of supporting the SSD cache feature, but it will depend on the integration done by Gigabyte to enable the Intel® Smart Response Technology option and to provide the software/applications needed to use the feature.

Just to clarify, it is not a software issue, it is the way the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology was designed since nowadays the usage of a mechanical hard drive is considered to be an obsolete technology, that is why the feature of SSD cache was removed from the application.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

TQvis, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

TQvis, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, just reply back or post a new question.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos