Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2054 Discussions

IRST 17.9.1.1009 causes boot loop XPS 7590

zuragvi
Beginner

Greetings, 

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver 17.9.1.1009 is causing boot loop on my Dell XP 15 7590.

This driver gets installed automatically via Windows Update and/or Dell update utility.
After reboot system becomes inoperable and enters infinite boot loop with pointless startup repair.

Intel system support utility report is attached

Dell update reference:
https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=KTG51

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello zuragvi,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We appreciate that you contact us regarding this issue; we would like to inform you that any issues with any specific customized driver version provided by your laptop manufacturer should be reported directly with them so they can work with us internally if needed to either release a new version or come up with the necessary steps in order to fix it.

In the meantime what you can try is to install our generic Intel RST driver version to see if it makes any difference, just bear in mind that our version is not customized; therefore, is not designed to address any specific OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) platform related issues; nonetheless, you can still try it out.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello zuragvi,  

Were you able to check the previous post and try the recommendation? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
zuragvi
Beginner

Greetings,

I've installed new version today rolled via Dell Update:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=62C56
It had same effect, boot loop, no hard disk found etc.

Regarding report to manufacturer, I've made a post at their forum:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Dell-XPS-15-7590-boot-cycle/td-p/7855346
Please let me know if I shall use other channel.

I've also installed version you have suggested:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29647/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Driver-Installation-Software-with-Intel-Optane-Memory-8th-and-9th-Gen-Platforms-

Installer had a choice between ahci and intel premium (default), I haven't changed the default and system didn't boot after restart.
It also has changed BIOS setting from AHCI to RAID and I wasn't able to run system restore until I didn't change it back to AHCI
unfortunately logs under C:\Intel\Logs got rolled back after system restore and I don't have anything to share.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello zuragvi,

In regards to the use of another channel to report the issue please bear in mind that the support you can get through their forum won’t be as quick as the one you can get from a customer support agent via chat or phone so in case you haven’t been able to successfully escalate this issue through their support forum, we would recommend getting assistance through their other channels.

When it comes to the use of our generic driver please bear in mind that your laptop is a very customized system; therefore, the use of a generic driver may cause unforeseen issues; consequently, if the generic driver wasn’t able to fix your system the best thing you can do will be to stay with the customized driver from Dell and if possible roll back to their first release if available while you report the issue to them.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello zuragvi,

We will proceed to close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Victor G. 

0 Kudos