Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Intel Matrix Storage Manager shows "Rebuild" after primary disk replaced

CHelm1
Beginner

This issue is seen in the HP BIOS upon entering . I had a Windows boot issue with RST and was forced to roll-back the RST and Wix tools installation, see below.

HP Z600 Workstation

Win 10 Professional

Dual XEON E5506 @ 2.13 GHz

HP PCB Fab Rev 1.0, SN PBBKQAJCY0E0BU, AS# 460840-003 REV AJ

System BIOS 786G4 v03.12

Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller

RAID volume RAID1_v1, SATA RAID Level 1

Volume 0: Model WD3200AAKS Western Digital Caviar Blue 320 Gb HD (replacement drive)

Volume 1: Model WD3200AAKX Western Digital Caviar Blue 320 Gb HD (original secondary drive)

Z600 starts normally in BIOS

After Ctrl-I, Intel Matrix Storage Manager has marked the RAID1_v1 volume with "REBUILD" status. States the OS will rebuild the volume.

Upon Exit, Windows starts normally, but on consecutive restarts Intel Matrix Storage Manager still shows RAID1_V1 degraded with "REBUILD" status.

At first it did not seem Windows was rebuilding the array.

Intel Article ID: 000005775, "Rebuilding Degraded RAID Volume After Failed Drive Is Replaced" gives these steps:

1. Turn on the system.

2. Click Start.

3. Click All Programs.

4. Click Intel.

5. Click Intel® Rapid Storage Technology.

6. Click Rebuild to another disk.

7. Select the replacement hard drive and click Rebuild.

Downloaded current Intel Rapid Storage Technology package SetupRST.zip, and installed.

Following install, Z600 boots into critical error "Cannot access boot volume" after 10-15 minutes. Restart from error this brings up Windows Repair.

Restored the system to my last restore point from Windows Repair advanced options. The RST installation was rolled back and Windows now boots, but I have the original problem with the persistent "Rebuild" status. At this point I believe this is a "stuck" status in Intel Matrix Storage Manager. Is there a way to clear this status without installing RST?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idata
Employee

chelms: Thank you very much for joining the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology communities. We will do our best in order to try to fix this problem.

I can see here that there is another thread in regard to this same scenario. Please keep checking that thread since an agent will further assist you in there:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/117582 https://communities.intel.com/thread/117582

Regards,

Alberto R
0 Kudos
CHelm1
Beginner

In the other thread, the agent's conclusion was that the Intel Storage Matrix manager is obsolete and not supported by RST.

Meanwhile, I downloaded and ran the HP Bios Configuration Utility, and ran the "/Get" function to save off the BIOS configuration. Lo and Behold, after running the "/Get" command, the RAID status went to "Normal" from "Rebuild". Apparently reading the BIOS triggers it to update the status. I see online others are having issues with stale status in the BIOS, perhaps any similar BIOS state read will have the same effect?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

chelms: Thank you very much for providing that information. Yes, as stated on that other thread, from our side and according to our documents this is a hardware/software compatibility problem. As you mentioned, it seems to be the ""/Get" command" works on an old HP BIOS, but we cannot guarantee that it will work on any other platform since that workaround was not validated as the original fix for this situation.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos