Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2054 Discussions

Intel Matrix Storage Manager stopped working due to some driver problems

SmartassNoob
Beginner

I have an older computer (Asus Rampage III Gene and Windows 7) and it has two different sets of RAID 1. These were created using a program called "Intel Matrix Storage Manager option ROM". The program has ceased to function and can not be activated anymore. Trying to start it during the POST message (Ctrl+i) has no effect and trying to start the program in Windows gives the error "The RAID plug-in failed to load, because the driver is not installed correctly." Clicking OK on it shows the next error message "The Serial ATA plug-in failed to load, because the driver is not installed correctly."

The RAIDs work for now, but I need to manage them (add additional drives and such), so there's a major problem and I'm not sure how to solve it.

I've done some reading and it turns out that the "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" is a newer version of the "Intel Matrix Storage Manager", however that won't work with Windows 7. I've found that "Intel Matrix Storage Manager" is still available for download at ( https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/17882/Intel-Matrix-Storage-Manager?product=55005 ), where there's 4 different files for download.

So can I be absolutely sure that I'm not at any risk of losing data by simply attempting to reinstall the program? And would that even solve the problem? Maybe it would be easier to find the broken driver? Driver download sites list tens of different Intel RAID drivers and I have no idea which one it should be.

The main thing is that a loss of data is unacceptable.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello SmartassNoob,

Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities.

In this case, I would like to request an System Support Utility report, this report can be generated from our tool, you can refer to the link below so you can download it: 

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Make sure to attach the created report to this thread.

Regards,

David V

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
SmartassNoob
Beginner

Thank you for the response. I'll include the report file. Also, I have tried the motherboard drivers DVD, but the driver gives the error "No proper disk found..."

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello SmartassNoob,

Thank you for your response.

I was checking the report and also the motherboard manufacturer's website, in fact they do provide a version of Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology; nevertheless, any change related to RAID or the utilities could affect the data so, what I can recommend you to do is to backup all of your data. 

Before changing to Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology, it is also recommended to contact the motherboard manufacturer just to see if this change is supported by the hardware, if not, you can try one of their Intel ® Matrix Storage versions. 

Here's your motherboard's site for more information:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_III_GENE/HelpDesk_Download/

*Please be aware that the content on that site is not controlled by Intel*. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel* for the merchants or services offered there.*

Let me know the outcome.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
SmartassNoob
Beginner

Thanks. I'll definitely come back here once I've gotten anywhere.

0 Kudos
SmartassNoob
Beginner

They advised to backup data and then just try the Rapid Storage and Matrix. Those just don't install, both giving an unexplained error about the computer not being up to minimum requirements. The raid driver readme file that came with the Rapid Storage program files mentions that a "Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility" must be installed first. I got that from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20018/INF-Update-Utility-Primarily-for-Intel-6-5-4-3-900-Series-Chipsets-Zip-Format?product=1145 and that seemed to install just fine.

I'll include the 2 errors messages I got with this post.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello SmartassNoob,

Thank you for your response.

Just to confirm, you used the Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology version provided by the manufacturer correct? If this did not work then there could be a problem with the RAID controller.

At this point, the best route is to work with the manufacturer of the motherboard and have them check it just to make sure there is no problems with the motherboard itself. 

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello SmartassNoob,

Were you able to check my previous post?

Let me know if you need more assistance.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee

Hello SmartassNoob,

Please contact us if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
SmartassNoob
Beginner

Yes, thanks. I did see the previous response. I'll be back if there's more problems.

0 Kudos