Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2054 Discussions

Intel RST cache(?) after a Windows 10 image restore

ddawg
Beginner

My Dell 8900 with Windows 10 was running was running the Intel RST Raid 0 with the solid state drive caching to a Toshiba 2T hard drive. It recently quit caching with status failed for the hard drive. Dell & I both agreed it was a hard drive on the verge of failure, and they sent a new Toshiba 2T drive, same model etc.

While it still was alive I made a system restore image of the old drive. Then swapped it out, and installed the system image on the new drive. The Intel RST still flags the caching to the hard drive as failed.

Is the Intel RST reading previous information in its cache area, carried over from the old disk via the image backup restored, and still believes its cache area has defective blocks, and/or excessive errors? How would one clear out the Intel RST cache area, and still maintain the current OS environment? For example if I went into the bios and deleted/created the appropriate SATA array caching to the disk, wouldn't that trash the OS on the disk? If so then I would have to repeat an image restore, which would recreate the current configuration including the corrupted SATA cache area.

In summary the question is: How does one tell a Intel RST to flush any info in its cache about the status of the area in which its caching, and to reinitialize its information to talk to a new replacement drive it's running on?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

dragondawg: Thank you very much for joining the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology communities.

In regard to your inquiry, in order to try to flush the cache information from RST, please follow these steps:

-Disable Intel® Smart Response in Intel® RST

-Then re-enable it again as a new hard drive

-If you cannot disable it from Intel® RST, you need to go to control "I" menu and reset the hard drives to Non-RAID.

-Then once you boot to Windows enable Intel® Smart Response once again and that should complete the process.

-Please look at the link below for additionally information about how to set up Smart response:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005501.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005501.html

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

dragondawg: I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos
ddawg
Beginner

Thanks for the feedback. Fortunately the solution was simpler. Basically was able to reboot from an image that failed while being created, on the new drive. It voluntarily did a disk check.

After boot I went into the Intel RST menu, and clicked on something that said "suppress anticipated error"(?), and the status went green, and has remained so since. Can't recall the exact name of what I clicked on. But it apparently told the Intel firmware to reset what it expected from the drive??? Been through multiple boots since, using the new drive, with the Intel caching having a current status of "functioning normally".

Again, thanks for your prior response.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

dragondawg: You are welcome. Thank you very much for letting us know that information.

Perfect, it is great to hear that the PC and the Intel® RST are working fine now.

Any other inquiry, do not hesitate in contact us again.

Regards,

Alberto R

0 Kudos