Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2046 Discussions

Intel SRT making win7 unbootable when enabled.

idata
Employee

i have bought a Gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3 motherboard and am having some issues setting up Smart Response Technology (SRT) (SSD caching)

I have a 2TB WDC SATA Green Drive and a 60GB OCZ agility 3 SSD. (partitioned into two volumes, 500GB (C drive) and ~1300GB (E Drive)

I am running windows 7

i have updated the Bios since i enabled SRT from F4 to F6

intel rapid storage technology (RST) is at version 10.5.0.1034

windows ran fine until i enabled SRT in Enhanced mode using the Intel SRT program for windows, which ran fine (and even said it recognized that SRT was enabled in a notification) until the system was rebooted to which the system shows the DISK BOOT ERROR, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER message.

when going into the intel rapid storage technology menu by holding ctrl+I when booting, the raid volume (level RAID0(cache)) shows only the size of the SSD and also shows it's status as DISABLED in yellow text.

under physical devices it also shows the HDD as DISABLED, again in yellow text

however the SSD has a status of "cache disk(1)" which is written in Green text.

everytime i try to enable SRT the computer is unable to boot windows (getting the DISK BOOT ERROR), but it is fine when i disable it, in which case only the Raid volume is shown as disabled in the intel RST menu, and the HDD is shown as NON-RAID.

does anyone have any idea about what could be causing this? i can give more information if it is needed.

thank you

EDIT: Fixed now

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Employee

I assume that you mean that Win 7 is unbootable. I wish it was unbeatable :-)

I have the same issue. I am using Intel® Desktop Board DZ68DB with an i7-2600 processor.

There seems to be some commonalities among the computers with problems"

* There are a large number of users with 2TB disks. I have a 2TB disk, could this cause problems?

* We all seems to have chosen the "Maximize" option. Could this cause the disk to fail? (This is my biggest hunch, the documentation says that we need to set it to "enhanced").

* We all seem to run Windows 7.

This is a serious issue that Intel has to look into. It cannot be a coincidense that so many of us have the same problem.

See also: /thread/22529?tstart=0 http://communities.intel.com/thread/22529?tstart=0

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It works fine for me.

Make sure the 100MB Windows "system" partition that is created during Windows installation goes to the magnetical disk, not to the SSD! The easiest way is to leave the SSD physically disconnected during Windows installation and only connect it once Win7 is fully installed. That's how I did it.

- DZ68DB firmware 27, - SSD OCZ Agility3 60GB, - 1 TB Seagate magnetical hard drive, - Win7-64-HP,- acceleration in standard mode (write-through), - SSD completely used for acceleration.
0 Kudos