Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Intel rapid storage keeps ejecting hard drive

sm15
Beginner

intel rapid storage is causing constant problems

2x samsung ssd raid 0 for main widows files and other minor stuff - Drive C

1x 1Tb hard drive for all other system stuff- drive D

1x 1Tb drive as a backup drive with copies of dics, pic, vids etc that is on drive D - drive E

When doing anything that seems to access the Hard drives, Intel rapid storage ejects and causes obviuos problems as windows tries to access files that have now gone missing.

Sometimes restarting re installs the drive and sometimes it does not. I have to open up and swap the SATA cables arround to force windows to find on boot.

this has been going on for ages and i cannot find an answer to this

Drivers all upto date

Z97I GAMING AC (MS-7920)

Intel® Core™ i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHzStorageIntel Raid 0 VolumeCapacity223.58 GBFirmware Version1.0.Serial NumberSystemRaidPartitions2Driver ProviderMicrosoftDriver Version10.0.16299.192Driver Date6/21/2006Device IdSCSI\DISK&VEN_INTEL&PROD_RAID_0_VOLUME\4&24AEBEE6&0&060100C:File SystemNTFSCompressedFalseCapacity223.04 GBFree Space151.15 GBWDC WD10EZEX-08WN4A0Capacity931.51 GBFirmware Version01.01A01Serial NumberWD-WCC6Y1YZ7ZL2Partitions1<th class="level2" style="font-size: 0.875em; font-weight: lighter; text-align: left; padding: 8px 8px 8px 2em; c...
0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello judgeozz,

I understand that you are having problems with the drives since they are ejecting whenever you try to use and access them.

Regarding this, To better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

4. Attach the report to this thread.

Also, please create an Intel ® RST system report and attach it to the forum as well. Please follow the steps in this link:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006351/technologies.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006351/technologies.html

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
sm15
Beginner

Items as requested in post below attached (i think)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello judgeozz,

Thank you for your response,

I would like to try a few things, first I would like you to try to uninstall Intel ® RST from "Programs & Features". After it has been uninstalled, please restart the computer and try using the drives normally. Now, deleting the RST should not affect the already built RAID, in fact, it will be managed and used with Microsoft* RAID driver, we are doing this to see if the problem is with RST itself or something else.

If the issue persists, as an extra step I would like you to try and download the following version of RST:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver

This is because the version that you had does not support your current chipset. After the installation, reboot the computer and let us know the outcome.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
sm15
Beginner

Hi David

Uninstalled RST and let windows manage and it got even more unstable

reinstalled RST driver 15.9.1015. it worked for short time and then again ejected my D drive and and created problems

most of my basic windows files are on the SSD Raid.

The D drive has office, steam, steam games and other stuff linked to windows. Also, the my pictures/my documents,my music etc have been redirected to this drive. It mostly ejects when playing steam games but has lately started ejecting when using office programs.

The other drive is just a file backup drive of pictures music docs etc.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello judgeozz,

The version you installed 15.9.1015 does not work with your chipset, please download the one I provided before and try to use that one. Make sure to first completely uninstall it from Programs & Features.

Here is the link for the other version:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver

Once this version is installed let us know the outcome.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
sm15
Beginner

Hi Dave

uninstalled the version i had as instructed.

downloaded from your link.

Setup process aborted "fatal error" message.

At the bottom of the fatal error message was a log file and i attache those (i think)

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello judgeozz,

Thank you for you response,

I understand that it did not work properly. First, make sure that the previous installed version was completely deleted. After you are sure, please download the one provided by your motherboard manufacturer's website:

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z97I-GAMING-ACK# down-driver&Win10%2064 https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z97I-GAMING-ACK# down-driver&Win10%2064

* Please be aware that the content on that site is not controlled by Intel*. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel* for the merchants or services offered there. *

Let us know the outcome please.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
sm15
Beginner

Hi Dave

Did what you said. Still had problems so i re installed windows onto the SSD raid and blanked the hard drives.

The re install defaulted RST to 15-9-1015 which i had to put to 14-8-0-1042 via the MSI install first as above.

I changed my system drive D to the standard HDD and the back up to F which is the seagate hybrid HDD.

Even with nothing else installed RST ejected the seagate drive.

I am hoping that it is a problem with hybrid drive and that windows will not crash as much if this drive keeps getting ejected as it will not have any widows files on it.

Any ideas???

Appreciate your help so far

Steve

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello judgeozz,

I understand your position and up to this point what we could try is to create a RAID with a different drive and try different combinations. For example: 1) HDD + Another HDD. 2) The "another" HDD + SSD.

This is just to test and see if there is any hardware problem related as it is important to see if the problem is related to that or the software itself. It is highly doubtful that the problem is the software since the microsoft's RAID controller gave you the same problem.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello judgeozz,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
sm15
Beginner

Dave

I could not set up different RAIDs as you suggested.

The Seagate hybrid drive continues to cause problems and keeps being ejected by rapid storage drive, then soon after the drive is "found" again. while this happens it causes problems with windows having to re adjust but windows does not crash as its only a back up drive.

i have since unplugged the drive from the motherboard SATA connector and this has so far stopped the problem.

For some reason which is beyond my limited knowledge, the problem seems to be that the seagate hybrid drive and intel rapid storage dont seem to get on with each other.

Thanks for your help, i will have to get another ordinary drive to replace it

Cheers steve

0 Kudos