Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2055 Discussions

Is there a way to use SSD caching on a HD raid array?

CEhre
Beginner

I have four, 4tb Hard Drives and a single 250gb SSD. And everytime I put them in a raid config together they reduce my storage size to around 2tbs. I read that the max size SSD you can use is 60gb, not sure if thats true. If someone can help would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Presuming we are talking about an older setup where Intel SRT is still supported, the steps you need to take are:

1. Setup RAID array containing the four HDDs.
  2. From RST Utility, enable caching/acceleration using the SSD.

I believe that what it says is that the maximum size for the cache is 64GB. You can create another "array" in the space that is left over and use it like you would any standalone drive.

Hope this helps (doing this from memory; my machine with RAID is not running right now).

...S

0 Kudos
CEhre
Beginner

I tried that but I must have downloaded the wrong Intel RST version because I don't seem to have the option to accelerate. Also my app says its going to be discontinued. Is there going to be another option?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
0 Kudos
CEhre
Beginner

ASUS Republic of Gamers Rampage V Edition 10 LGA 2011-v3 EATX Motherboard

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

That's an X99 chipset board with Intel SRT support, so half the battle. What you need is an older version of intel RST software that has support for Windows 10 but does not have its support for SRT replaced with that for Optane. I think I found the right one: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26759/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?product=55005. This is version 14.8.16.1063.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos