Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Memory and Storage Management RAID initializing problem

Edrob
Beginner

My problem is Memory and Storage Management appears to be initializing  a RAID 5 array that is already set up and working.

Initially I attempted to use the Memory and Storage Management program to set up RAID 5. After the initial setup the initialize started and showed a marching ant circle with 0%. About three days later it was at 1%. I deleted the RAID 5 through the program. I attempted this two more times and gave up.

Next I went directly to RST at boot up (Ctrl+i) and set up the RAID 5 array. I then opened Windows 10 disk management and completed the initiation (in just a few minutes.) I was curious and opened the Memory and Storage Management program and found the marching ant circle and 0% was active so I closed the program.

Fast forward about five days and I just checked MSM program again and found the marching ants at 3%!

My concern is, is this program actually initializing the RAID 5 drive I have been using daily with no problem? Or ???

BTW: I do have Optane memory installed but it is not set up. Right now I don't want to touch any part of RST until I know everything is okay with the RAID drive.

Please, I need some guidance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
David_G_Intel

Hello Edrob

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. 

Please share with us the following information:

• Your RST driver version 
  • Model of your computer
  • Windows built and version
  • Screenshots/videos of this problem
  • The results of the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU)  
    •  Download the Intel SSU https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows
    • Open the application and select "Everything" click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  
    • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  
    • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".  

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Edrob
Beginner

Hi David, Thanks for getting back.

RST driver version: 10.30.1.1138

Computer is a custom build; motherboard is ASUS Prime x299-A II. Components are listed in SSU detail report attached.

Windows: Version - 10.0.19042, build - 19042

Screen shot: Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management. Notice the circle 6% in the RAID info box. I noticed it jumped to 7% after the screen shot and previously it was 3% so it is ongoing. Software version is 18.1.1015.0

RAID drive seems to be operating okay.

Thanks

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello Edrob

Thank you for the information provided. I will open an investigation for this request, the details will be posted once we have an update.

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello Edrob

We checked the reports and information provided, this request is related to RAID 5 Volume Remains in Initialize State:

This was reported before and it is expected, let us know if there any other information you need.

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
Edrob
Beginner

Hi David,

Thank you for the followup and link regarding RAID 5 with four HDDs. I previously found this post but ignored it because my RAID 5 is only three HDDs. I notice the symptoms and solution mirror my situation.

MSM is still displaying the marching ant circle and has advanced to 10%. I still don't know if this issue is benign or a danger. The RAID drive seems to be healthy so it does not seem to affect the drive.

I'll continue monitoring this thread in case someone else has knowledge of my issue.

Thank you for your help.
Ed Robinson

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello Edrob

Thank you for the update. Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. 

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos