Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2045 Discussions

Newly Created Raid 1 Array not visible in windows 8.1

JCzar
Beginner

Hi, I've just created a raid 1 pair with two 6TB dirves.

It shows as working fine in the RST application, it shows as a signle drive in windows Disk Manager, and as a single drive in Aomei Partition Assistant.

It is NOT visible in windows File Explorer.

Aomei shows that is is a GPT disk; so, the disk size should not be the issue.

I've uploaded the system report below.

Please let me know what changes I may need to make to get the array to show up in windows.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You may need to go into the Windows Disk Management applet and initislize/format its partition(s) there.

...S​

0 Kudos
JCzar
Beginner

The partitions are already set up, but still the array is not visible in windows.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Are you sure? Creating the volumes in the RAID manager is not the same as creating partitions and/or formatting.

...S

0 Kudos
JCzar
Beginner

Yes I am certain. Both DM and Partition Assistant clearly show when a drive is partitioned.

With some experimentation, I have figured out that the drive will appear if the drive letter is set to G and is invisible if the drive letter is set to F. This occurs when using DM change letter function. Further, if I remove the letter entirely, then "add" F in DM, the drive will not appear. If I again change it to G, it will appear.

F was the letter used when naming the partition originally. No other drive on the system is labeled F.

Unfortunately, F was the letter that the array is replacing and because a large number of programs reference files on the F drive, I really want to set the letter to F.

Any ideas on what might be happening and how to fix this?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This seems absolutely bizarre - and definitely beyond my ken. Intel Customer Support will need to step in and look at this issue...

...S

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello JCzar,

To better assist you, we would like to have more information about your system configuration.

Please run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report to this thread.

1. Intel® SSU Download link

2. Open the application and click "Scan" to see system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".

3. To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello JCzar,

If you need further assistance, please let us know. We will be glad to assist you.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello JCzar,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos