Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID

No create option in RST

MDins
Novice

Hi

Our version of RST was recently corrupted (v12.x) so we have had to update to v14.x which supports our platform.

We can see the 6 drives, but there is no create function to start rebuilding the RAID. Under computer > disk management we can see all 6 drives as showing as unallocated.

Can anyone offer advice please on what I need to do to get this set up please? I'm sure it's something simple.

Normally the drives are configured as 1 x 3.15TB D drive and 1x2TB E drive via RST.

Looking in our identical second system, the drives show as 1 D Drive simple volume and 1 E drive simple volume, sizes as specified.

Thanks

Mike

0 Kudos
10 Replies
GBart1
Beginner

I am facing the same situation. Laptop came with Windows 10 Pro and the create button was there out of the box, but we need Enterprise Edition. After upgrading to Windows 10 Enterprise, I installed IRST and there is no create button. The drives are still set to RAID 0 but there is no way to manage it.

Ideally, I would like to have this work from an image that my company uses. When imaging the laptop, it re-partitions the drives and therefore no RAID 0.

Thanks in advance for any help!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Mike_Dinsdale and gary.l.bartram

Thank you for joining the community.

Mike_Dinsdale in order to help you better, I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have on the computer. Please attach to this thread the TXT file the Intel® System Support Utility will generate: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Steps to save the report:
  1. Run the utility.
  2. Click on "Scan" to get the scanned system.
  3. Once the scan is complete click on "next".
  4. Use the "save" option, save the report to your desktop.
  5. To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

Provide me with the Intel® RST report; following these steps:

1. Open the Intel Rapid Storage Technology user interface (Start > Programs > Intel > Intel® Rapid Storage Technology).
  2. Click the Help icon.
  3. Click the System Report icon.
  4. Click Save.
  5. Please attach the report to the thread.

Could you also provide me with a picture of the disk management? (Right-click on the Windows® logo> disk management)

gary.l.bartram I have sent you a private a private message; please review your private inbox.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
MDins
Novice

Here are the reports, attacxhed this time!

Thankss

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Mike_Dinsdale

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further help. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
MDins
Novice

Hi there

Sorry I've been away for a couple of days.

These are how my disks appear in Disk Management.

On my other 2 systems they show as 1 simple volume of about 5.5 TB, and the Intel RST program splits it into D drive of 2.2TB and E drive with the remainder.

Undoubtably this is something simple, my main concern is why it crashed in the first place, but that's for another day. Let's get it working again.

Thanks

Mike

0 Kudos
MDins
Novice

intel_admin

Here are the reports

0 Kudos
MDins
Novice

intel_admin

This is what I expected to see

0 Kudos
MDins
Novice

This is one of our working systems

0 Kudos
MDins
Novice

OK, it's fixed.

I had to change a setting in the BIOS of the machine (it has an ASRock mobo). The setting "SATA Mode Selection" had to be switched to RAID.

When this was saved and rebooted, it gave me access to the Intel Rapid Store config utility at boot time (Ctrl+I) to enter, rather than via the Windows interface.

Created Volume0 using all 6 drives at 3.2TB, and then the second, Volume1, with the remaining space, approx 2.4TB. Created in RAID0 mode with 128kb strip size.

Then under Windows disk management, configured for GPT and formatted as normal.

Now in RST Windows I can see them correctly created.

So not created via the Windows program, more at the root level, but it's worked!

intel_admin gary.l.bartram

Thanks guys!

Mike

Chilli
Beginner

I have pobably the same issue on Arock Z77. Rapid Storage driver 11.7.0.1013

I have installed 4TB SSDs on SATA0 and SAT1.

As soon as I activate RAID the Windows bootloader does not find windows anymore. After 2 unsuccesfull starts it goes into repair mode.

I also tried to create the RAID0 of SATA0 and SATA1 in the BIOS. After I was forced to switch back from RAID to AHCI to be able to load windows the rapid storage panel 'does not see' the two SSDs anymore at all!

However if I go into windows disk management utility it see the RAID as one drive with 8TB. I could format it w/o problems.

So it looks liks the BIOS did it right, but somehow the rapid storage drivers can not handle it. Pretty weird.

If somebody has an idea how to make it better please share!

C:\WINDOWS\system32> winsat disk -seq -read -drive g
Windows-Systembewertungstool
> Wird ausgeführt: Featureaufzählung ''
> Laufzeit 00:00:00.00
> Wird ausgeführt: Speicherbewertung '-seq -read -drive g'
> Laufzeit 00:00:04.19
> Dshow-Videocodierzeit                        0.00000 s
> Dshow-Videodecodierzeit                      0.00000 s
> Media Foundation-Decodierzeit                0.00000 s
> Disk  Sequential 64.0 Read                   1027.45 MB/s          8.5
> Gesamtausführungszeit 00:00:04.34

At least it works