Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID

Not able to disable rst.

Jeb1
Beginner

I am not able to disable Intel rst on my lenovo computer. I would like to disable rst because when I was trying to download Ubuntu, it required me to disable intel rst. I read the Lenovo user guide and the intel documentation on rst and couldn't find out how to change it to ANCI. I called lenovo and they said they didn't know what to do. I went into my computer's advanced bios before by pressing Fn + R and then Fn + N, and then pressing F10 to save and exit. When I entered the bios again I had the advanced bios. I saw a setting called SATA Configuration and I though I could enable AHCI using that, but when I pressed enter it opened a sub menu showing "Serial ATA port 0" going to port 7. When I tried to change the values of that by pressing F5 or F6, it didn't do anything. I don't know what to do now. I didn't configure or change any settings in the bios so far. 

My computer is the Lenovo Legion 7i and has the latest bios version. 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Jeb1, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to this scenario, even though you mentioned that you already got in contact with Lenovo, what we suggest is to do that again, to get in contact directly with them because if you enter the BIOS and you change the SATA mode from RAID to AHCI, you will need to re-install the Operating System from scratch and due to licensing and customizations done by Lenovo, that could be a problem and you might lose all the features and functions that Lenovo advertised for your computer. Everything related to the BIOS settings and options was customized and it is supported by Lenovo directly, they should be able to let you know how to change the SATA mode from RAID to AHCI and the results of doing that change.

Regarding the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology itself, if you are not currently using a RAID configuration, then as an alternative you can also go to the option in Windows* "Apps and Features" and uninstall Intel® RST from there.

Now, if you are planning to use Ubunto as Operating System, you will need to also get in contact directly with Lenovo to confirm if they validated that OS for your system and for further technical assistance on this matter, since using an OS not validated by the manufacturer of the computer can cause conflicts in the platform and also with the installation and availability of the proper drivers:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos